Score Avios for Just 1.04 Cents Each with This Groupon Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
A promotion we’ve written about twice in the past has returned, as the Spanish Groupon website is again selling packages of Iberia Avios. Currently the promotion is listed as “Only for a limited time!” and “About to run out!” So, don’t delay if you’re interested in taking advantage of this deal.
Cost per Avios vary based on what package you get, but you can purchase Avios for as little as 1.13 US cents per Avios:
- 2,000 Avios for 19 Euros (~$23, 1.13 cents apiece)
- 4,000 Avios for 59 Euros (~$70, 1.76 cents apiece)
- 8,000 Avios for 99 Euros (~$118, 1.48 cents apiece)
- 15,000 Avios for 189 Euros (~$226, 1.50 cents apiece)
- 20,000 Avios for 249 Euros (~$297, 1.49 cents apiece)
- 34,000 Avios for 429 Euros (~$512, 1.51 cents apiece)
Even better, you can get a bonus 9 Avios per Euro spent by buying the Groupon packages via the Iberia shopping portal. With these bonus Avios, you can drop the average price to just 1.04 cents per point. While we don’t have a valuation for Iberia Avios, you can transfer them from Iberia to British Airways (see below) — and we value British Airways Avios at 1.5 cents each.
However, you’re going to need to know Spanish or use a website translation tool to purchase:
Terms and Conditions:
- The 2,000 Avios package is limited to one purchase per Iberia member.
- The 4,000, 20,000 and 34,000 Avios packages are limited to five purchases per Iberia member. (It’s unclear if they mean five of each one of these packages or a total of five packages from this subset.)
- The 8,000 and 15,000 Avios packages are limited to ten purchases per Iberia member.
- You must redeem your Groupon voucher for Iberia Avios by December 31.
Even if these are the most restrictive limitations (1x package of 2,000 Avios + 5x packages of 34,000 Avios + 10x purchases of 15,000 Avios), this offer opens up the opportunity to rack up 358,486 Avios after portal bonuses for a cost of 4,054 Euros (US$4,838). That’s a blended rate of 1.35 cents per Avios.
Steps to Maximize This Deal
- If you don’t have an Iberia Plus account, register online.
- Start at the Spanish version of the IberiaPluStore home page and log into your account at the upper right corner where it says “Acceder.” If you try to start directly from the English version of the page or directly at the Groupon page, you may get an error. Then after you’re logged in, switch the language into English using the “Idioma” box at the upper left corner.
- Navigate to the IberiaPluStore’s Groupon page.
- Click “Shop Now” to be transferred to Groupon with a tracking cookie. In my experience, this has been transferring directly to the landing page for the Avios sale promo, but you might have to search “Avios” at the top of the page.
- Choose the packages that you want to purchase.
- Try using a card that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee. If you run into errors, it’s possible Groupon ES is blocking non-Spanish credit card billing addresses again this time. In the past, US-based readers have reported success using PayPal to pay.
- Complete your purchase.
- Redeem your Groupon voucher(s) before December 31. TPG readers have reported it takes around 10 days for the Avios to hit your IberiaPlus account.
- Check back to confirm your IberiaPluStore bonus Avios posted. It typically takes a few weeks before these bonus Avios post, so don’t expect them immediately.
GrouponSpain has published this helpful video on how to redeem your voucher:
Not sure how to use Iberia Avios? There are some great uses using Iberia’s chart itself. I personally used Avios that I purchased during one of the previous times this offer was available toward the 25,500 Avios needed to book a one-way premium economy flight from New York’s JFK to Madrid (MAD) during an off-peak date.
Transferring to British Airways Avios
You can also transfer Avios from your Iberia account to your British Airways account. But, there are some limitations before you can do so: Both of your accounts — British Airways’ Executive Club and Iberia’s Iberia Plus — must have been open for at least 90 days. So, if you open an Iberia Plus account for this promotion, you’ll need to wait 90 days to transfer Avios from Iberia to British Airways.
In addition to the 90 day rule, you need to make sure your personal information is listed identically in both Iberia’s and BA’s systems before you’re allowed to transfer between accounts. This is the roadblock that I ran into when trying to book the Iberia premium economy flight at the last minute. It seems your birth date, email address and name all have to match before the transfer can occur.
Once your Avios are transferred, you can take advantage of British Airways’ distance-based award chart. Need more British Airways Avios? You can earn up to 100,000 Avios from the British Airways Visa Signature Card.
For those looking for cheap Avios, this is a great opportunity to get points for as little as 1.04 cents each. Having to buy the Avios through Spain’s Groupon page and possibly having to put the purchase on PayPal is a hassle. But hopefully the step-by-step instructions above based on our experience from past similar deals will make it an easy deal to utilize.
H/T: God Save the Points
Are you going to take advantage of this Iberia offer?
Welcome to The Points Guy!