This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For a “limited time,” the Spanish Groupon website is selling packages of Iberia Avios. Cost per Avios vary based on what package you get, but you can get Avios for as little as 1.38 US cents per Avios.
The smallest points package has already sold out, but there are plenty of options still remaining:
- 4,000 Avios for 59 euros (~$66, 1.65 cents apiece)
- 8,000 Avios for 99 euros (~$111, 1.38 cents apiece)
- 15,000 Avios for 189 euros (~$211, 1.41 cents apiece)
- 20,000 Avios for 249 euros (~$278, 1.39 cents apiece)
- 34,000 Avios for 429 euros (~$480, 1.41 cents apiece)
Even better, you can get a bonus 10 Avios per euro spent by buying the Groupon packages via the Iberia shopping portal. With these bonus Avios, you can drop the average price to just 1.10 cents per point. While we don’t have a valuation for Iberia Avios, you can transfer from Iberia to British Airways (see below) — and we value BA Avios at 1.5 cents each.
However, you’re going to need to know Spanish or use a website translation tool to purchase:
Terms and Conditions:
- Limited to five purchases each of 4,000; 8,000; 15,000; and 20,000 Avios packages
- Limited to three purchases of the 34,000 Avios package
- You must redeem your purchased Avios by September 7
Steps to Maximize This Deal
- If you don’t have an Iberia Plus account, register online.
- Navigate to the IberiaPluStore’s Groupon page.
- Sign into your IberiaPlus account to be transferred to Groupon with a tracking cookie.
- Search “Avios” in the top search bar. There should only be one result. Click “Ver Oferta” to see the Avios offer.
- Choose the packages that you want to purchase.
- Use a card that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee.
- Complete your purchase.
- Redeem your Groupon voucher(s) before September 7.
- Check back to confirm your IberiaPluStore bonus Avios posted. Last time these Avios packages were offered, it took a few weeks before the Avios posted. Hopefully it’ll be faster this time around.
Not sure how to use Iberia Avios? There’s some great uses using Iberia’s chart itself. I used Avios that I purchased the last time this offer was made toward the 25,500 Avios needed to book a one-way premium economy flight from New York’s JFK to Madrid (MAD).
Transferring to British Airways Avios
You can also transfer Avios from your Iberia account to your British Airways account. But, there are some limitations before you can do so: Both of your accounts — British Airways’ Executive Club and Iberia’s Iberia Plus — must have been open for at least 90 days. So, if you open an Iberia Plus account for this promotion you’ll need to wait 90 days to transfer Avios from Iberia to British Airways.
In addition to the 90 day rule, you need to make sure your personal information is listed in both Iberia and BA’s accounts before you’re allowed to transfer between accounts. This is the roadblock that I ran into when trying to book the Iberia premium economy flight at the last minute. It seems your birth date, email address and name all have to match before the transfer can occur.
Once your Avios are transferred, you can take advantage of British Airways’ distance-based award chart. Need more British Airways Avios? You can still earn up to 120,000 Avios from the British Airways Visa Signature Card.
While the purchase process is a hassle, for those looking for cheap Avios, this is a great opportunity to get points for as little as 1.10 cents each.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Are you going to take advantage of this offer?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel