Buy Avios for Just 1.1 Cents Each with This Groupon Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For a “limited time,” the Spanish Groupon website is selling packages of Iberia Avios. Cost per Avios vary based on what package you get, but you can get Avios for as little as 1.38 US cents per Avios.
The smallest points package has already sold out, but there are plenty of options still remaining:
- 4,000 Avios for 59 euros (~$66, 1.65 cents apiece)
- 8,000 Avios for 99 euros (~$111, 1.38 cents apiece)
- 15,000 Avios for 189 euros (~$211, 1.41 cents apiece)
- 20,000 Avios for 249 euros (~$278, 1.39 cents apiece)
- 34,000 Avios for 429 euros (~$480, 1.41 cents apiece)
Even better, you can get a bonus 10 Avios per euro spent by buying the Groupon packages via the Iberia shopping portal. With these bonus Avios, you can drop the average price to just 1.10 cents per point. While we don’t have a valuation for Iberia Avios, you can transfer from Iberia to British Airways (see below) — and we value BA Avios at 1.5 cents each.
However, you’re going to need to know Spanish or use a website translation tool to purchase:
Terms and Conditions:
- Limited to five purchases each of 4,000; 8,000; 15,000; and 20,000 Avios packages
- Limited to three purchases of the 34,000 Avios package
- You must redeem your purchased Avios by September 7
Steps to Maximize This Deal
- If you don’t have an Iberia Plus account, register online.
- Navigate to the IberiaPluStore’s Groupon page.
- Sign into your IberiaPlus account to be transferred to Groupon with a tracking cookie.
- Search “Avios” in the top search bar. There should only be one result. Click “Ver Oferta” to see the Avios offer.
- Choose the packages that you want to purchase.
- Use a card that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee.
- Complete your purchase.
- Redeem your Groupon voucher(s) before September 7.
- Check back to confirm your IberiaPluStore bonus Avios posted. Last time these Avios packages were offered, it took a few weeks before the Avios posted. Hopefully it’ll be faster this time around.
Not sure how to use Iberia Avios? There’s some great uses using Iberia’s chart itself. I used Avios that I purchased the last time this offer was made toward the 25,500 Avios needed to book a one-way premium economy flight from New York’s JFK to Madrid (MAD).
Transferring to British Airways Avios
You can also transfer Avios from your Iberia account to your British Airways account. But, there are some limitations before you can do so: Both of your accounts — British Airways’ Executive Club and Iberia’s Iberia Plus — must have been open for at least 90 days. So, if you open an Iberia Plus account for this promotion you’ll need to wait 90 days to transfer Avios from Iberia to British Airways.
In addition to the 90 day rule, you need to make sure your personal information is listed in both Iberia and BA’s accounts before you’re allowed to transfer between accounts. This is the roadblock that I ran into when trying to book the Iberia premium economy flight at the last minute. It seems your birth date, email address and name all have to match before the transfer can occur.
Once your Avios are transferred, you can take advantage of British Airways’ distance-based award chart. Need more British Airways Avios? You can still earn up to 120,000 Avios from the British Airways Visa Signature Card.
While the purchase process is a hassle, for those looking for cheap Avios, this is a great opportunity to get points for as little as 1.10 cents each.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Are you going to take advantage of this offer?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees