United’s Retrofitted 777s Will Get 50 Polaris Seats, 3-4-3 in Coach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’re really going to hope your upgrade clears on United’s refreshed 777-200s. The carrier recently relaunched its first updated 767, and now it’ll soon begin retrofitting its older 777s, installing the new 1-2-1 Polaris business-class seats and adding an extra seat in each row in economy, just as United’s done with its domestic configuration.
That means anyone not traveling up front will end up in a 17-inch-wide coach seat with an ultra-dense arrangement that’s even being adopted by international carriers known for offering excellent service in economy, such as Cathay Pacific and Qatar. As reported by FlightGlobal and confirmed by the airline, United’s updated 777-200s will offer 50 Polaris business-class seats and 242 in economy — that’s 25 more seats than you’ll find on the airline’s current two-cabin planes.
Based on the seat map United sent to flight attendants, below, it appears that the 777-200’s business-class arrangement will vary from that of the 777-300ER, with 32 seats in the forward business cabin, compared to 28 on the -300ER, and just 18 in the much smaller rear cabin, compared to 32 on the larger 777.
At the moment, United has two 777-200s undergoing maintenance in China — N782UA has been in Xiamen since September 15, while N78002 arrived in Hong Kong just last week. It’s not clear whether or not these planes are currently getting retrofitted, but assuming they are, it’s possible that we’ll see the new configuration enter service by the end of this year, in line with United’s expected “winter” re-entry.
Once the updated planes do begin flying within the US and beyond, this is the version to pick if you’re able to confirm a seat in business class. If you’re flying coach, however, I’d suggest opting for the older 3-3-3 configuration, to avoid the super-dense 3-4-3 seating on this retrofit plane.
Have you flown in 3-4-3 economy on a 777?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees