Cathay Pacific Confirms 10-Across Seating on Its 777s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific, one of the premier Asian carriers that’s known for its luxe first and business-class products, is about to cram even more passengers into the economy cabin. We’ve known that the carrier has been thinking about it since at least last year, but now we have more details. Cathay Pacific announced that it’s going to join the likes of other carriers that feature 10-across seating in economy, reducing seat width for each of its passengers.
The Hong Kong-based carrier is set to reconfigure 48 long-haul 777 aircraft (adding either 19 or 28 seats for a total of 296 or 368 passengers) and 17 of its short-haul 777 aircraft (adding 40 seats for a total of 438 passengers). On its long-haul 777s, Cathay’s economy seats are currently 18.5 inches wide, however, with the reconfiguration of the cabin and the addition of one more seat per row, each seat will shrink in width to 17.2 inches, pitch will remain the same at 32 inches.
Economy passengers are sure to be frustrated with the new 3-4-3 configuration of the cabin, but it’s not all bad news. With the new arrangement, Cathay is also updating its in-flight entertainment for economy passengers. The seatback IFE screens will be 12 inches and the box will be hidden inside the seats so legroom isn’t obstructed by the IFE box. In addition, Cathay is updating its 777s with more personal storage and Wi-Fi, which are surely welcome improvements.
As a point of comparison, there are quite a few airlines that offer 10-abreast in their economy cabins. For example, United’s new 777-300ER aircraft, which has its new Polaris cabin at the front of the plane but features 10 seats per row in economy. Other carriers that also offer (or have announced that they’re going to offer) 10-across seating on the 777 include British Airways, EVA Air, Emirates, Air France and Qatar, among others.
The project to reconfigure a total of 65 777s is expected to take three years and will begin around the middle of next year. TPG Community Manager JT Genter flew Cathay’s 777 between Chicago and Hong Kong and enjoyed the carrier’s nine-across seating. Sadly, however, the days of 9-abreast coach cabins seem to be numbered.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees