United’s Domestic 777s Are Getting a Big Downgrade in Coach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: United shared the seat map for its new domestic 777-200 configuration, which consists of 336 economy seats in a 3-4-3 configuration and 28 first-class seats in a cramped 2-4-2 configuration, rather than the 2-2-2 previously expected. Here’s a screenshot of the seat map, courtesy of @AirlineFlyer.
United currently operates a 747 on a domestic route and plans to add an internationally configured 777 flying EWR-LAX soon as well, but the carrier also flies 777s within the US in a special domestic configuration, that’s about to get a bit more… special.
Today, the airline shared its plans to retrofit 19 777-200s, including 9 that currently service flights to and from Hawaii and an additional 10 that are used for international flights. After the retrofit, all 19 planes will be used primarily on flights within the US, including to and from Honolulu. The reconfiguration will begin in May of this year, with all 777s scheduled to be have the new layout by May 2017.
As part of the retrofit, United will be adding 24 seats to each plane, replacing the current 2-5-2 or 3-3-3 with a 3-4-3 configuration. That means rather than having 9 seats in each row, these 777s will instead have 10 seats — the airplane’s width won’t change, of course, so United will need to make each seat more narrow to accommodate the additional passengers.
United isn’t the first US airline to adopt 3-4-3 seating on the 777 — American launched the concept with its 777-300ER, which provides a very comfortable ride in business class, but not so much in coach. Similarly, United’s new domestic 777s will be getting a business-class upgrade — 32 recliner seats will be replaced by 28 lie-flat beds, but fewer premium-cabin seats means fewer opportunities for elite upgrades. Additionally, all of these 777s will have Wi-Fi on board with streaming entertainment (instead of seat-back TVs, most likely), and each economy seat will have a tablet and smartphone holder as well.
H/T: USA Today
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees