Southwest to “Surprise and Delight” With About 20 In-Air Concerts Per Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It turns out that in-air concerts are becoming a thing. Earlier this year, Kenny G used his sax-ual talents to raise almost $2,000 for Relay for Life on-board a Delta flight. Now, Southwest is giving its “Live at 35” in-air concert series a fresh boost.
To celebrate being named the Warner Music Nashville label’s “Airline of Record,” Southwest took to the skies Thursday to “surprise and delight” a flight from Nashville (BNA) to Philadelphia (PHL) with an in-air concert. According to reports, a “capacity crowd” was on hand for the multi-song concert by country artist Devin Dawson.
The Points Guy reached out to Southwest for more information on the “Live at 35” concert series to find out how passengers can catch (or avoid) the next concert and how many concerts the airline plans to hold. The airline’s response might be disappointing to in-air music fans, but may provide relief to others. “We typically ‘surprise and delight’ Customers on about 20 flights a year with these concerts,” a Southwest spokesperson told us.
So what are your odds of getting an in-air concert? With Southwest operating 1.2 million flights per year, that’s less than a 0.0017% chance that a particular flight is going to have an in-air concert. While that’s 18x more likely than being struck by lightning in a particular year, for better or worse, it’s still pretty unlikely that you’re going to have a concert on your Southwest flight.
Those interested in recreating the experience on the ground can watch Southwest’s video of Devin Dawson’s concert and learn more about Live at 35 or Southwest’s Artists on the Rise. And while “United Breaks Guitars”, Southwest welcomes them on-board as carry-on bags — even if the artist isn’t playing an in-air concert.
How much would you LUV a in-air concert?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees