Southwest to “Surprise and Delight” With About 20 In-Air Concerts Per Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It turns out that in-air concerts are becoming a thing. Earlier this year, Kenny G used his sax-ual talents to raise almost $2,000 for Relay for Life on-board a Delta flight. Now, Southwest is giving its “Live at 35” in-air concert series a fresh boost.
To celebrate being named the Warner Music Nashville label’s “Airline of Record,” Southwest took to the skies Thursday to “surprise and delight” a flight from Nashville (BNA) to Philadelphia (PHL) with an in-air concert. According to reports, a “capacity crowd” was on hand for the multi-song concert by country artist Devin Dawson.
The Points Guy reached out to Southwest for more information on the “Live at 35” concert series to find out how passengers can catch (or avoid) the next concert and how many concerts the airline plans to hold. The airline’s response might be disappointing to in-air music fans, but may provide relief to others. “We typically ‘surprise and delight’ Customers on about 20 flights a year with these concerts,” a Southwest spokesperson told us.
So what are your odds of getting an in-air concert? With Southwest operating 1.2 million flights per year, that’s less than a 0.0017% chance that a particular flight is going to have an in-air concert. While that’s 18x more likely than being struck by lightning in a particular year, for better or worse, it’s still pretty unlikely that you’re going to have a concert on your Southwest flight.
Those interested in recreating the experience on the ground can watch Southwest’s video of Devin Dawson’s concert and learn more about Live at 35 or Southwest’s Artists on the Rise. And while “United Breaks Guitars”, Southwest welcomes them on-board as carry-on bags — even if the artist isn’t playing an in-air concert.
How much would you LUV a in-air concert?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With the Southwest Premier credit card you'll earn 6,000 points each year after your cardmember anniversary. Southwest also offers one of the most lucrative airline perks - the Companion Pass.
- Our best points offer ever! Earn up to 100,000 bonus points. Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, plus 50,000 more bonus points after spending $12,000 total on purchases in the first 12 months.
- Now enjoy more benefits and more ways to earn.
- 6,000 anniversary points each year.
- New! Earn 3X points on Southwest® purchases.
- New! Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
- New! Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming.
- New! 2 EarlyBird Check-In® each year.
- All points earned count towards Companion Pass®.