Southwest CEO Gary Kelly Apologizes to 737 MAX Passengers With Refunds and Vouchers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest’s inaugural day of service with its new 737 MAX 8 aircraft didn’t quite go as planned. After the the aircraft’s first flight, WN1 from Dallas Love Field (DAL) to Houston Hobby (HOU), a maintenance light came on in the cockpit. After three separate delays, the aircraft was eventually swapped out for an older 737 model. While the first flight went off without a hitch, the rest of the day was rather disappointing for both AvGeeks and Southwest employees on board — including the company’s CEO Gary Kelly.
Kelly was around for the day’s activities and had plans to complete the entire “Texas Triangle” routing — DAL-HOU, HOU-SAT and SAT-DAL. His enthusiasm was felt throughout the first flight, and his disappointment was apparent after it was announced that the aircraft would be swapped. Many passengers ended up abandoning the rest of the “Texas Triangle” routing, disappointed. Now, passengers on board for the MAX festivities have received an email from Mr. Kelly himself, apologizing for the letdown.
The generous offer of a full refund for the cost of their one-way airfare, as well as an additional $250 voucher is a classy move from Kelly on behalf of Southwest. I can’t say this move is surprising, however. During the abbreviated MAX day, Kelly made himself readily available to all passengers on board and in the terminal to ask questions, take photos, shake hands and sign autographs.
It’s a breath of fresh air to see a CEO of a major airline who shows such interest in putting the customers first. This note from Kelly himself shows his character as not only a leader of a great airline that cares about its passengers. Good move, Southwest and Mr. Kelly!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees