This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monday morning, American Express opened its very first international Centurion Lounge, at Hong Kong International Airport. TPG reader Peter Madden was one of the first guests to arrive, and was kind enough to send along some photos and impressions from his opening-day visit.
We’ll be checking out the HKG lounge ourselves soon, so stay tuned for a full review. In the meantime, you’ll find Peter’s impressions and photos — along with some from Amex — below.
Entrance and Seating
As Peter notes, the new Centurion Lounge is located on the upper level near gate 60 at HKG, around the corner from the United Club.
The lounge measures 8,000 square feet — Peter counted about 60 seats in total, excluding a special section of the lounge limited to Centurion cardmembers.
Like other lounges at HKG, the space feels airy, thanks to the terminal’s high ceiling.
You’ll find a variety of seating, from bar stools to booths to groups of chairs in the main lounge area.
Food and Beverage
As with other Centurion Lounges, the F&B options here are top-notch, even by international standards.
Not only is the bar space luxuriously appointed, it’s also very well-stocked, with a custom cocktail list. And everything’s included, of course.
There’s also a decent-size hot and cold buffet, with a mix of Asian and Western options.
At breakfast, Peter found fruits, cold cuts, muesli, yogurt, croissants and more.
Hot items included pancakes with compote, eggs, bacon, dumplings, congee and oatmeal.
Meanwhile, Centurion cardmembers have access to an a-la-carte dining area catered by local chef Lau Yiu Fai.
The food looks fantastic, from the beef stew to the char siu pork.
If you’re a Centurion cardmember, or are traveling with someone who is, this exclusive dining area definitely seems worthy of your time.
Like other Centurion Lounges, the HKG location has a shower room, though it wasn’t open during Peter’s visit. He did stop by the bathroom though, which looks nice, and very similar to those at other lounges, with L’Occitane amenities.
There are also a couple of meeting rooms, including this smaller space…
…and a larger meeting area near the entrance.
To celebrate the grand opening, Peter received a gift bag with a nice candle and a Chinese pastry.
One of this location’s highlights is obviously the airy feel, in addition to the fantastic tarmac views. The large windows also allow for loads of natural light, which passengers with morning US departures will be best able to take advantage of.
Peter notes that the HKG Centurion Lounge does feel smaller than his home location at San Francisco International, and while this space was far less crowded, with around 40 customers at its busiest point during Peter’s visit, it’s likely to become very popular, considering the number of Amex Platinum and Centurion cardmembers based in Hong Kong, Southeast Asia and beyond.
Stay tuned for our full review in the weeks to come!
Have you visited the new Hong Kong Centurion Lounge?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees