This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Groupon has shared the details a new program allowing you to earn airline miles and hotel points when shopping through its website. This may sound similar to shopping portals that offer miles and points when shopping with certain retailers, but what separates this is that the functionality is directly built into Groupon’s website and is powered by Points.com. This announcement comes on the heels of Groupon+, the company’s program that doles out extra cash back for dining out.
The participating programs include Alaska Mileage Plan, American Airlines AAdvantage, Choice Privileges Rewards, IHG Rewards Club, JetBlue’s True Blue, La Quinta Returns and United MileagePlus.
Earnings breakdown like this:
- Earn 5 airline miles or 10 hotel points per $1 spent on Groupon Local purchases
- Earn 4 airline miles or 8 hotel points per $1 spent on Groupon Getaways purchases
- Earn 3 airline miles or 6 hotel points per $1 spent on Groupon Goods purchases
To enroll click here, select your preferred rewards program and enter your membership number. You’ll get a promo code to use during checkout. Once you make a purchase, you’ll receive bonus miles. New Groupon customers can earn 1,000 airline miles or 2,000 hotel points on their first purchase of $30 or more, in addition to the normal bonus points.
Unfortunately, this will likely not stack with other cash back or Mileage earning portals, although it may be worth clicking through a portal to see if it does. You also can’t use other coupon codes on Groupon with this offer. It’s stated right in the terms and conditions:
“Cannot be stacked or combined with any other offers, sales, or promotions, including but not limited to any third party cash back and/or loyalty programs.”
You may be better off using just a regular coupon, but if you’re really focusing on earning airline miles, this is a great way to do it. Keep in mind you’ll still receive points from the credit card purchase itself. For example, if you spent $100 on a Groupon Local purchase and wanted to get bonus Alaska miles, you’d get 500 miles for the bonus plus 100 miles if you used the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit Card. A total of 600 miles worth about $11.50 according to TPG’s latest valuations, or an 11.5% return.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Featured image by Tomás Del Coro/Flickr.
Alaska miles are extremely valuable because you can book awards on partners like Emirates, Icelandair, Korean Air and Japan Airlines. The current bonus of 30,000 miles can book you a roundtrip ticket on Alaska Airlines from Boston to San Diego or New York to Seattle, for example.
- Special Introductory Offer: Buy 1 ticket, get 1 for just the taxes and fees with Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ Offer.
- Get 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.
- Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year! Each Year on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com.
- Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
- Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Earn unlimited miles and travel with no blackout dates.
- No foreign transaction fees