Link your Visa or Mastercard to Groupon to Get Extra Cash Back on Dining
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last week, Groupon announced Groupon+, a new addition to its offering of deals that can help you save on dining after linking your eligible Mastercard or Visa card. The new venture is a relaunch of its card-linked deals, and is interesting in that it strays away from Groupon’s traditional dining deals, where you’d have to buy a voucher that you would then bring to the restaurant. Not only that, you may have been restricted to certain meal options or there would be a spending requirement to activate the voucher, i.e. spend $50 to get $20 off. With Groupon+, the company has removed much of the red tape from redeeming some of its deals and is making it easier to get cash back when dining out.
Here’s the way it works: first you’ll need to be a Groupon member (sign-up is free) to be eligible for the deals. Second, you’ll have to visit the Groupon+ page and browse what restaurants are eligible for savings, then you’ll have to “claim” a deal, which only requires you to hit the “Claim This Deal Button.” Add your credit card information (only Visa and Mastercard products are eligible) so that once you make a purchase at the restaurant, you’ll be able to get your cash back. Similarly to Uber’s new rewards program, it tracks your purchases and knows when a purchase is part of a deal, automatically applying a statement credit afterwards.
Groupon+ is available in 23 major cities and metro areas across the US, and more than 1,500 restaurants have signed up to participate in the program. From our search of New York City, there seemed to be a solid amount of dining options that ranged from fine dining to fast casual, with discounts up to 30%. They aren’t one-time deals and they work on any type of purchase with no minimums. Even better, you can continually earn cash back — although after you’ve used the deal once, the cash back amount usually falls.
The cash back is received in the form of a statement credit, so you don’t have to worry about any messy forms to fill out. Don’t forget that many credit cards get bonus spend on dining out. The Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve get 2x and 3x points on dining, while the newly announced Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card can get up to a whopping 3.5% back on dining if you can maximize its Preferred Rewards program.
Additionally, you can link your card to an airline’s dining program and earn bonus miles that way — although it’s unclear whether or not Groupon+ cash back would stack with a dining program. Groupon says it plans on expending the rewards program to more cities and other purchases outside of dining.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.