Link your Visa or Mastercard to Groupon to Get Extra Cash Back on Dining
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last week, Groupon announced Groupon+, a new addition to its offering of deals that can help you save on dining after linking your eligible Mastercard or Visa card. The new venture is a relaunch of its card-linked deals, and is interesting in that it strays away from Groupon’s traditional dining deals, where you’d have to buy a voucher that you would then bring to the restaurant. Not only that, you may have been restricted to certain meal options or there would be a spending requirement to activate the voucher, i.e. spend $50 to get $20 off. With Groupon+, the company has removed much of the red tape from redeeming some of its deals and is making it easier to get cash back when dining out.
Here’s the way it works: first you’ll need to be a Groupon member (sign-up is free) to be eligible for the deals. Second, you’ll have to visit the Groupon+ page and browse what restaurants are eligible for savings, then you’ll have to “claim” a deal, which only requires you to hit the “Claim This Deal Button.” Add your credit card information (only Visa and Mastercard products are eligible) so that once you make a purchase at the restaurant, you’ll be able to get your cash back. Similarly to Uber’s new rewards program, it tracks your purchases and knows when a purchase is part of a deal, automatically applying a statement credit afterwards.
Groupon+ is available in 23 major cities and metro areas across the US, and more than 1,500 restaurants have signed up to participate in the program. From our search of New York City, there seemed to be a solid amount of dining options that ranged from fine dining to fast casual, with discounts up to 30%. They aren’t one-time deals and they work on any type of purchase with no minimums. Even better, you can continually earn cash back — although after you’ve used the deal once, the cash back amount usually falls.
The cash back is received in the form of a statement credit, so you don’t have to worry about any messy forms to fill out. Don’t forget that many credit cards get bonus spend on dining out. The Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve get 2x and 3x points on dining, while the newly announced Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card can get up to a whopping 3.5% back on dining if you can maximize its Preferred Rewards program.
Additionally, you can link your card to an airline’s dining program and earn bonus miles that way — although it’s unclear whether or not Groupon+ cash back would stack with a dining program. Groupon says it plans on expending the rewards program to more cities and other purchases outside of dining.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees