This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/17: We’ve updated the text below to reflect a cap of $20 in credit earned on Whole Foods purchases.
The original partnership which started in August 2016 and ended in late 2016 is back. Now, US Uber riders will be able to earn Uber credits when they shop at participating restaurants and businesses with their Visa card(s) that are attached to their Uber account.
According to Uber, there are thousands of merchants that you can shop with, and from my time scrolling through the offers in New York City, I saw about 75 participating businesses. All the offers in New York displayed that you’d get 10% back in Uber credits from your purchase. The list included a variety of merchants including places like Whole Foods, Regal Cinemas, Walgreens and dozens of restaurants.
There is a limit on how much you can earn, usually capping you out at $100 in credit per transaction, though select offers are capped at lower amounts — such as a maximum of $20 in credit at Whole Foods.
You’ll have to opt in to the program to start earning credits. It takes five steps to join:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app
- Add at least one eligible Visa card to your Uber account
- Open the app and tap the bottom of the screen to see your messages
- Scroll down to the ‘Visa Local Offers’ message
- Tap ‘Get Started’ and then tap ‘Count Me In’
Once you’ve opted in, you’ll want to make sure you add all your Visa cards to your Uber account. Then whenever you use one at a participating location, you’ll be sure to get 10% back. Although, those who have authorized users for their credit cards need to be wary, as Uber says:
“Only one cardholder per Visa can earn Uber credits on their Uber account. If multiple people have the Visa on their Uber accounts, only the person who enrolled in Visa Local Offers most recently with that Visa card will receive the credits.”
Most Visa cards should be eligible, even debit cards, but when using a debit card you’ll want to make sure you select ‘credit’ when you pay to ensure the transaction registers. Visa Buxx, Visa Gift Cards, Visa Healthcare Cards, Visa Incentive Cards, and Visa TravelMoney are not eligible for Visa Local Offers.
This is a great opportunity to “double dip” and earn credit card points and Uber credits at the same time. For example, you could use your Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn 3x or 2x points respectively on a restaurant purchase, plus you’d get 10% back in Uber credits. So if you were using the Reserve and spent $100 at a participating restaurant, you’d get 300 Ultimate Reward points worth $6.60 according to TPG’s latest valuations plus $10 in Uber credit. Not bad for just enrolling in the program.
If you’re new to Uber you can sign up here and receive $20 in credit from TPG.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees