Uber Reintroduces Rewards Program With Visa Local Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/17: We’ve updated the text below to reflect a cap of $20 in credit earned on Whole Foods purchases.
The original partnership which started in August 2016 and ended in late 2016 is back. Now, US Uber riders will be able to earn Uber credits when they shop at participating restaurants and businesses with their Visa card(s) that are attached to their Uber account.
According to Uber, there are thousands of merchants that you can shop with, and from my time scrolling through the offers in New York City, I saw about 75 participating businesses. All the offers in New York displayed that you’d get 10% back in Uber credits from your purchase. The list included a variety of merchants including places like Whole Foods, Regal Cinemas, Walgreens and dozens of restaurants.
There is a limit on how much you can earn, usually capping you out at $100 in credit per transaction, though select offers are capped at lower amounts — such as a maximum of $20 in credit at Whole Foods.
You’ll have to opt in to the program to start earning credits. It takes five steps to join:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app
- Add at least one eligible Visa card to your Uber account
- Open the app and tap the bottom of the screen to see your messages
- Scroll down to the ‘Visa Local Offers’ message
- Tap ‘Get Started’ and then tap ‘Count Me In’
Once you’ve opted in, you’ll want to make sure you add all your Visa cards to your Uber account. Then whenever you use one at a participating location, you’ll be sure to get 10% back. Although, those who have authorized users for their credit cards need to be wary, as Uber says:
“Only one cardholder per Visa can earn Uber credits on their Uber account. If multiple people have the Visa on their Uber accounts, only the person who enrolled in Visa Local Offers most recently with that Visa card will receive the credits.”
Most Visa cards should be eligible, even debit cards, but when using a debit card you’ll want to make sure you select ‘credit’ when you pay to ensure the transaction registers. Visa Buxx, Visa Gift Cards, Visa Healthcare Cards, Visa Incentive Cards, and Visa TravelMoney are not eligible for Visa Local Offers.
This is a great opportunity to “double dip” and earn credit card points and Uber credits at the same time. For example, you could use your Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn 3x or 2x points respectively on a restaurant purchase, plus you’d get 10% back in Uber credits. So if you were using the Reserve and spent $100 at a participating restaurant, you’d get 300 Ultimate Reward points worth $6.60 according to TPG’s latest valuations plus $10 in Uber credit. Not bad for just enrolling in the program.
If you’re new to Uber you can sign up here and receive $20 in credit from TPG.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.