Uber Reintroduces Rewards Program With Visa Local Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/17: We’ve updated the text below to reflect a cap of $20 in credit earned on Whole Foods purchases.
The original partnership which started in August 2016 and ended in late 2016 is back. Now, US Uber riders will be able to earn Uber credits when they shop at participating restaurants and businesses with their Visa card(s) that are attached to their Uber account.
According to Uber, there are thousands of merchants that you can shop with, and from my time scrolling through the offers in New York City, I saw about 75 participating businesses. All the offers in New York displayed that you’d get 10% back in Uber credits from your purchase. The list included a variety of merchants including places like Whole Foods, Regal Cinemas, Walgreens and dozens of restaurants.
There is a limit on how much you can earn, usually capping you out at $100 in credit per transaction, though select offers are capped at lower amounts — such as a maximum of $20 in credit at Whole Foods.
You’ll have to opt in to the program to start earning credits. It takes five steps to join:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app
- Add at least one eligible Visa card to your Uber account
- Open the app and tap the bottom of the screen to see your messages
- Scroll down to the ‘Visa Local Offers’ message
- Tap ‘Get Started’ and then tap ‘Count Me In’
Once you’ve opted in, you’ll want to make sure you add all your Visa cards to your Uber account. Then whenever you use one at a participating location, you’ll be sure to get 10% back. Although, those who have authorized users for their credit cards need to be wary, as Uber says:
“Only one cardholder per Visa can earn Uber credits on their Uber account. If multiple people have the Visa on their Uber accounts, only the person who enrolled in Visa Local Offers most recently with that Visa card will receive the credits.”
Most Visa cards should be eligible, even debit cards, but when using a debit card you’ll want to make sure you select ‘credit’ when you pay to ensure the transaction registers. Visa Buxx, Visa Gift Cards, Visa Healthcare Cards, Visa Incentive Cards, and Visa TravelMoney are not eligible for Visa Local Offers.
This is a great opportunity to “double dip” and earn credit card points and Uber credits at the same time. For example, you could use your Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn 3x or 2x points respectively on a restaurant purchase, plus you’d get 10% back in Uber credits. So if you were using the Reserve and spent $100 at a participating restaurant, you’d get 300 Ultimate Reward points worth $6.60 according to TPG’s latest valuations plus $10 in Uber credit. Not bad for just enrolling in the program.
If you’re new to Uber you can sign up here and receive $20 in credit from TPG.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees