This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/17: We’ve updated the text below to reflect a cap of $20 in credit earned on Whole Foods purchases.
The original partnership which started in August 2016 and ended in late 2016 is back. Now, US Uber riders will be able to earn Uber credits when they shop at participating restaurants and businesses with their Visa card(s) that are attached to their Uber account.
According to Uber, there are thousands of merchants that you can shop with, and from my time scrolling through the offers in New York City, I saw about 75 participating businesses. All the offers in New York displayed that you’d get 10% back in Uber credits from your purchase. The list included a variety of merchants including places like Whole Foods, Regal Cinemas, Walgreens and dozens of restaurants.
There is a limit on how much you can earn, usually capping you out at $100 in credit per transaction, though select offers are capped at lower amounts — such as a maximum of $20 in credit at Whole Foods.
You’ll have to opt in to the program to start earning credits. It takes five steps to join:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app
- Add at least one eligible Visa card to your Uber account
- Open the app and tap the bottom of the screen to see your messages
- Scroll down to the ‘Visa Local Offers’ message
- Tap ‘Get Started’ and then tap ‘Count Me In’
Once you’ve opted in, you’ll want to make sure you add all your Visa cards to your Uber account. Then whenever you use one at a participating location, you’ll be sure to get 10% back. Although, those who have authorized users for their credit cards need to be wary, as Uber says:
“Only one cardholder per Visa can earn Uber credits on their Uber account. If multiple people have the Visa on their Uber accounts, only the person who enrolled in Visa Local Offers most recently with that Visa card will receive the credits.”
Most Visa cards should be eligible, even debit cards, but when using a debit card you’ll want to make sure you select ‘credit’ when you pay to ensure the transaction registers. Visa Buxx, Visa Gift Cards, Visa Healthcare Cards, Visa Incentive Cards, and Visa TravelMoney are not eligible for Visa Local Offers.
This is a great opportunity to “double dip” and earn credit card points and Uber credits at the same time. For example, you could use your Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn 3x or 2x points respectively on a restaurant purchase, plus you’d get 10% back in Uber credits. So if you were using the Reserve and spent $100 at a participating restaurant, you’d get 300 Ultimate Reward points worth $6.60 according to TPG’s latest valuations plus $10 in Uber credit. Not bad for just enrolling in the program.
If you’re new to Uber you can sign up here and receive $20 in credit from TPG.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees