This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve talked about how the MileagePlus X app is a great tool to earn extra United miles. Working somewhat like a traditional shopping portal, you buy electronic gift cards from retailers and get 1 to 5 bonus miles for each dollar spent on a gift card (occasionally, the bonus can be as high as 10 miles per dollar). Plus, you’ll receive a 25% bonus if you’re a United MileagePlus Explorer Card holder.
But what many don’t know is that you can actual do some significant triple dipping by using the MileagePlus X app in conjunction with a shopping portal. For example, you can buy a Nike gift card through the app and receive 5 miles per dollar spent.
The second dip is the miles you’ll get from using your credit card to buy the e-gift card. The third dip is by using your e-gift card to shop at Nike.com through an online shopping portal, therefore earning you even more miles.
Potentially, if you wanted to make a $100 purchase at Nike today, a triple dip would look something like this:
- Dip 1: 625 United miles through MileagePlus X (5x plus 25% bonus )
- Dip 2: 100 miles for the purchase of the e-gift card with your credit card (1x)
- Dip 3: 200 United miles through the United MileagePlus Shopping portal (2x)
So, on a $100 purchase, you could earn 925 miles. And if you wait, many shopping portals have big bonuses, like a couple of weeks ago you could earn 15 miles per dollar at Nike and many other retailers. With triple dipping, you could have earned 2,225 miles on a $100 purchase! Make sure to use a shopping portal aggregator to find which portal has the biggest bonus.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards