Delta’s Throwing a Party for Passengers on the A350 Inaugural Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the era of the Boeing 747 (with US carriers, at least) comes to a close, it’s time to welcome the new generation of aircraft taking its place. Monday, October 30, marks the first commercial flight for Delta’s brand-new Airbus A350, and both myself and TPG are in Detroit to experience the inaugural flight. TPG will be sitting in a slick new Delta One Suite and I’ll be trying out the airline’s all-new premium economy product, known as Premium Select. Be sure to follow along on The Points Guy Instagram for updates from the flight.
To commemorate the special flight, the airline has set up a small party to welcome passengers and to give them a chance to admire the plane. The Champagne has been flowing and AvGeeks, airline enthusiasts and regular passengers who had no idea this flight was special have come out to partake in the celebration. A few days ago, Delta sent an email to all passengers on today’s inaugural flight letting them know that this would be a special one. So now, I’m officially a part of the “First Flyers Club.”
Delta parked the plane at prime real estate at DTW, gate A40. It’s centrally located in the still-new-looking terminal — the new plane couldn’t be missed. There was a sign welcoming passengers to the party and inviting them to enjoy a toast to the future of Delta’s fleet.
Those who have flown through DTW often will have fond memories of seeing the Boeing 747 parked in this spot, but now it has a new resident.
Of course, there was Champagne — on a special “First Flyers Club” table, which also featured a scale model of the A350.
There was also a video board that showed off the plane’s construction process and some milestones for Delta’s newest aircraft.
Delta pilots were in attendance, and seemed very excited to be flying the latest and greatest from their carrier.
Last but not least, Delta gave each person on the flight a special Tumi wallet in its signature blue color scheme to commemorate the event.
It’s been a fun morning so far here in Detroit, and we can’t wait to get on the aircraft for our flight to Tokyo Narita (NRT.) Stay tuned for full reviews of both Delta One and Premium Select, coming soon to TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.