This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday morning, the pilots of the last Air Berlin transatlantic flight pulled a sharp left turn just before landing, flying next to the air traffic control tower and just over the airport terminal. Immediately, it was announced that German aviation authorities were “looking into the incident.”
Now, we have more details about the fallout from the stunt: On Wednesday, Air Berlin announced it’s suspending both of the pilots for the action. “In aviation, safety always comes first. We are taking the incident very seriously,” an Air Berlin spokesman told Fortune. However, the identities of the pilots have not been shared.
One of the pilots spoke with German public television station Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen, explaining: “we wanted to make a mark, a dignified and emotional goodbye.” While the airline reportedly hasn’t received any complaints from the incident, some observers in the airport’s terminal reacted with shock and seemingly fear of the aircraft crashing into the airport:
While it’s never good to be suspended by your employer, this isn’t going to be much of a punishment for the pilots. The flight in question was the last transatlantic flight by the airline, and the bankrupt company ceases operations on October 25. It’s possible that the A330 pilots weren’t even scheduled to fly again anyway.
Request for comment from The Points Guy haven’t been returned by the airline.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees