We Now Know When Air Berlin Will Stop Flying Long Haul
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin’s days are numbered — like, there are literally just a few left at this point. Why’s that? The carrier just put out word that all of its long-haul flights will cease operation on October 15, 2017, less than three weeks from today.
The airline shared the following statement on its website today:
Air Berlin will need to cease its long-haul flight operations by 15 October 2017, as the aircraft leasing companies are gradually withdrawing their Airbus A330 jets. The connection between Dusseldorf and Los Angeles will therefore be discontinued on 25 September 2017. Further cancellations will follow on 16 October 2017. On 29 September 2017, Air Berlin will discontinue services between Hamburg and Munich and between Cologne/Bonn and Munich. We regret the inconvenience for our passengers.
This really is a shame — even though there were only 40 passengers on a plane with 290 seats, I had a great flight this past Saturday. As it turns out, that will be one of the last on Air Berlin’s A330s, which will be repossessed just a few weeks from now.
If you’re planning to fly Air Berlin, your options are unfortunately limited. I do recommend checking out JT Genter’s post, Practical Advice for Travelers If Air Berlin Goes Out of Business, for some advice.
Do you have an upcoming flight on Air Berlin?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.