We Now Know When Air Berlin Will Stop Flying Long Haul
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin’s days are numbered — like, there are literally just a few left at this point. Why’s that? The carrier just put out word that all of its long-haul flights will cease operation on October 15, 2017, less than three weeks from today.
The airline shared the following statement on its website today:
Air Berlin will need to cease its long-haul flight operations by 15 October 2017, as the aircraft leasing companies are gradually withdrawing their Airbus A330 jets. The connection between Dusseldorf and Los Angeles will therefore be discontinued on 25 September 2017. Further cancellations will follow on 16 October 2017. On 29 September 2017, Air Berlin will discontinue services between Hamburg and Munich and between Cologne/Bonn and Munich. We regret the inconvenience for our passengers.
This really is a shame — even though there were only 40 passengers on a plane with 290 seats, I had a great flight this past Saturday. As it turns out, that will be one of the last on Air Berlin’s A330s, which will be repossessed just a few weeks from now.
If you’re planning to fly Air Berlin, your options are unfortunately limited. I do recommend checking out JT Genter’s post, Practical Advice for Travelers If Air Berlin Goes Out of Business, for some advice.
Do you have an upcoming flight on Air Berlin?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees