This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After nearly a decade in the making, Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium opens its doors to the public on Friday, September 22. Located in Springfield, Missouri, the museum and its surrounding campus is hailed as the largest of its kind — larger than the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Measuring at 350,000-square-feet, the museum will feature 35,000 live fish, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds all representing more than 800 species.
Envisioned as the world’s greatest tribute to the conservation movement, the museum is a partnership with Johnny Morris, founder/CEO of Bass Pro Shops, along with conservation leaders, and is divided into the aquarium adventure and the wildlife galleries. The aquarium is an interactive experience, with 1.5 million gallons of world-class aquarium adventures. Visitors can immerse themselves inside a river full of piranhas, touch a stingray, traverse an underwater tunnel and come face-to-face with sharks, jellyfish, snakes, iguanas, eagles, owls and more.
Morris created the not-for-profit Wonders of Wildlife as a gift to the nation, with the intention of inspiring people of all ages to engage with the natural world. The museum was built with the goal of educating the public on conservation efforts and 40 leading conservation organizations came together to showcase the history of the American outdoors. From Native Americans to Lewis and Clark and beyond, guests can wonder throughout history as a celebration of those who hunt, fish and act as stewards of the land.
“Wonders of Wildlife is an inspirational journey around the world that celebrates the role of hunters and anglers as America’s true conservation heroes,” Morris said in a press release.
Located next to the Bass Pro Shops National headquarters, the new campus is a centerpiece of America’s Conservation Capital in Missouri’s Ozark Mountains. In addition to the aquarium and wildlife galleries, there will be more than 1.5 miles of trails through immersive exhibits and displays.
On Wednesday, September 20, the museum will host a gala with former presidents, conservation leaders, celebrities and other high-ranking government officials. The goal is to spread a powerful message to inspire everyone to connect with the outdoors and The Wildlife Museum stresses that it is more important now than ever before to remind the public to preserve and promote outdoor experiences.
Tickets for entry into both the aquarium and wildlife galleries start at $23.95 for children (ages 4-11) and $39.95 for adults. Admission is free for children four and younger.
All images courtesy of Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees