This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After nearly a decade in the making, Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium opens its doors to the public on Friday, September 22. Located in Springfield, Missouri, the museum and its surrounding campus is hailed as the largest of its kind — larger than the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Measuring at 350,000-square-feet, the museum will feature 35,000 live fish, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds all representing more than 800 species.
Envisioned as the world’s greatest tribute to the conservation movement, the museum is a partnership with Johnny Morris, founder/CEO of Bass Pro Shops, along with conservation leaders, and is divided into the aquarium adventure and the wildlife galleries. The aquarium is an interactive experience, with 1.5 million gallons of world-class aquarium adventures. Visitors can immerse themselves inside a river full of piranhas, touch a stingray, traverse an underwater tunnel and come face-to-face with sharks, jellyfish, snakes, iguanas, eagles, owls and more.
Morris created the not-for-profit Wonders of Wildlife as a gift to the nation, with the intention of inspiring people of all ages to engage with the natural world. The museum was built with the goal of educating the public on conservation efforts and 40 leading conservation organizations came together to showcase the history of the American outdoors. From Native Americans to Lewis and Clark and beyond, guests can wonder throughout history as a celebration of those who hunt, fish and act as stewards of the land.
“Wonders of Wildlife is an inspirational journey around the world that celebrates the role of hunters and anglers as America’s true conservation heroes,” Morris said in a press release.
Located next to the Bass Pro Shops National headquarters, the new campus is a centerpiece of America’s Conservation Capital in Missouri’s Ozark Mountains. In addition to the aquarium and wildlife galleries, there will be more than 1.5 miles of trails through immersive exhibits and displays.
On Wednesday, September 20, the museum will host a gala with former presidents, conservation leaders, celebrities and other high-ranking government officials. The goal is to spread a powerful message to inspire everyone to connect with the outdoors and The Wildlife Museum stresses that it is more important now than ever before to remind the public to preserve and promote outdoor experiences.
Tickets for entry into both the aquarium and wildlife galleries start at $23.95 for children (ages 4-11) and $39.95 for adults. Admission is free for children four and younger.
All images courtesy of Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees