On Board Southwest’s Harvey-Evacuation Flight, Airport Swimming Pool, Non-Flyer Access at PIT and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Read a firsthand account of what it was like to be on a Southwest flight that airlifted more than 100 people from Houston’s Hobby Airport (HOU) to Dallas (DAL) once floodwaters receded enough on one of the runways to evacuate people who had been stranded at the airport.
This week, it was reported that Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is in the process of adding a new lounge with an outdoor swimming pool that’s adjacent to the aircraft on the tarmac. When — and if — the pool opens, it could very well be the coolest airport pool in the world.
Starting September 5, Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) will be the first to participate in a new TSA pilot program that opens its airside terminal to non-flyers from 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday thru Friday. Note that those not flying will still have to go through a security screening and wear a special pass while hanging out in the terminal.
The Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard is currently offering an elevated sign-up bonus of 60,000 miles after you pay the card’s annual fee of $95 and make one purchase within three months of opening your account.
As of this week, it’s no longer possible to sign up for both the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to claim both sign-up bonuses. If you want both cards, you’ll have to wait a full 24 months after you’re approved for one.
One of aviation’s biggest annual fan events kicks off in less than three weeks, and you can come along for the ride — we’ve been holding one ticket for a very lucky TPG reader, and are gearing up to give it away! Find out how you can win your way into this incredible experience.
Over the last few years, Norwegian Air has run three humanitarian aid flights on its 737, bringing aid to the Central African Republic, Jordan and Mali. Now, the budget carrier is offering a rare opportunity for travelers to fly on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner — which is also decked out in UNICEF colors — and help out with a great cause. The airline will take delivery of the aircraft next month and as a celebration, its inaugural flight will be a humanitarian mission to Djibouti (JIB) to help Yemeni refugees. Find out how you can bid for a seat on this flight.
In other news…
WestJet and Air France-KLM Cement Frequent Flyer Partnership
As of this week, Canada-based WestJet and Air France-KLM have formed a new partnership that allows passengers to choose to earn either FlyingBlue miles or WestJet dollars on Air France, KLM and WestJet flights.
Amex Offer: 10,000 Membership Rewards Points for Spending More Than $500 With Virgin Atlantic
Check your American Express account(s) to see if you were targeted for a great offer with Virgin Atlantic. If you use an eligible card to spend at least $500 by October 31, 2017, with the airline, you’ll earn 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points.
Featured image by American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees