On Board Southwest’s Harvey-Evacuation Flight, Airport Swimming Pool, Non-Flyer Access at PIT and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Read a firsthand account of what it was like to be on a Southwest flight that airlifted more than 100 people from Houston’s Hobby Airport (HOU) to Dallas (DAL) once floodwaters receded enough on one of the runways to evacuate people who had been stranded at the airport.
This week, it was reported that Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is in the process of adding a new lounge with an outdoor swimming pool that’s adjacent to the aircraft on the tarmac. When — and if — the pool opens, it could very well be the coolest airport pool in the world.
Starting September 5, Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) will be the first to participate in a new TSA pilot program that opens its airside terminal to non-flyers from 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday thru Friday. Note that those not flying will still have to go through a security screening and wear a special pass while hanging out in the terminal.
The Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard is currently offering an elevated sign-up bonus of 60,000 miles after you pay the card’s annual fee of $95 and make one purchase within three months of opening your account.
As of this week, it’s no longer possible to sign up for both the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to claim both sign-up bonuses. If you want both cards, you’ll have to wait a full 24 months after you’re approved for one.
One of aviation’s biggest annual fan events kicks off in less than three weeks, and you can come along for the ride — we’ve been holding one ticket for a very lucky TPG reader, and are gearing up to give it away! Find out how you can win your way into this incredible experience.
Over the last few years, Norwegian Air has run three humanitarian aid flights on its 737, bringing aid to the Central African Republic, Jordan and Mali. Now, the budget carrier is offering a rare opportunity for travelers to fly on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner — which is also decked out in UNICEF colors — and help out with a great cause. The airline will take delivery of the aircraft next month and as a celebration, its inaugural flight will be a humanitarian mission to Djibouti (JIB) to help Yemeni refugees. Find out how you can bid for a seat on this flight.
In other news…
WestJet and Air France-KLM Cement Frequent Flyer Partnership
As of this week, Canada-based WestJet and Air France-KLM have formed a new partnership that allows passengers to choose to earn either FlyingBlue miles or WestJet dollars on Air France, KLM and WestJet flights.
Amex Offer: 10,000 Membership Rewards Points for Spending More Than $500 With Virgin Atlantic
Check your American Express account(s) to see if you were targeted for a great offer with Virgin Atlantic. If you use an eligible card to spend at least $500 by October 31, 2017, with the airline, you’ll earn 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points.
Featured image by American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.