Bid to Fly on Norwegian’s Inaugural 787 Humanitarian Flight to Djibouti
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few years Norwegian has run three humanitarian aid flights on its 737 decked out with UNICEF livery, bringing aid to the Central African Republic, Jordan and Mali. Norwegian has now partnered with MegaDo for a very similar cause.
The budget airline is offering a rare opportunity for travelers to fly on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (which is also painted in UNICEF colors) and to help out a great cause. The carrier will take delivery of the aircraft next month and as a celebration its inaugural flight will be on a humanitarian mission to Djibouti (JIB) to help Yemeni refugees. Since 2015, Yemen has been embroiled in a brutal war that has turned into a full-blown humanitarian crisis. Thousands have died, tens of thousands have fled and the country is experiencing one of the biggest cholera outbreaks in modern times.
You can bid on a seat on the aircraft here, which will be flying into Djibouti with its holds full of humanitarian cargo. There are 10 seats available and as of this writing, the cheapest is going for $1,050. The money raised woill go towards purchasing more supplies for UNICEF’s efforts. Norwegian’s founder and CEO Bjørn Kjos will also be onboard the flight. If you end up winning, here’s what your itinerary will look like:
- 09:00 – 11:00: Visit UNICEF’s Supply Division in Copenhagen.
- 09:00 – 12:00: Load 144 tons of emergency aid at CPH airport.
- 12:00 – 13:00: Celebrate the unveiling of Norwegian’s UNICEF Dreamliner and the aircraft’s inaugural flight.
- 13:00: Fly 144 tons of emergency aid from CPH to JIB.
- 21:00: Arrival JIB and offloading of cargo.
- 08:00 – 12:00: Visit refugee camp outside of JIB (to be confirmed)
- 13:00: Fly to OSL.
Each winning package is for one person and includes:
- Flights on Norwegian to Copenhagen and from Oslo, to/from any airport served by Norwegian. Winners will be accommodated in Premium class to/from the US (based on availability) or in Economy within Europe (except on routes served by Boeing 787 aircraft where Premium class is available.)
- Seats on the UNICEF humanitarian flights to/from Djibouti.
- Hotel in Djibouti
- All activities mentioned in the schedule above. Note that the refugee camp visit has yet to be confirmed.
- Visa for entry in Djibouti.
Take a look at Norwegian’s 2015 flight that delivered aid to a refugee camp in Jordan.
Featured image by Alec Wilson/Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees