Bid to Fly on Norwegian’s Inaugural 787 Humanitarian Flight to Djibouti
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few years Norwegian has run three humanitarian aid flights on its 737 decked out with UNICEF livery, bringing aid to the Central African Republic, Jordan and Mali. Norwegian has now partnered with MegaDo for a very similar cause.
The budget airline is offering a rare opportunity for travelers to fly on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (which is also painted in UNICEF colors) and to help out a great cause. The carrier will take delivery of the aircraft next month and as a celebration its inaugural flight will be on a humanitarian mission to Djibouti (JIB) to help Yemeni refugees. Since 2015, Yemen has been embroiled in a brutal war that has turned into a full-blown humanitarian crisis. Thousands have died, tens of thousands have fled and the country is experiencing one of the biggest cholera outbreaks in modern times.
You can bid on a seat on the aircraft here, which will be flying into Djibouti with its holds full of humanitarian cargo. There are 10 seats available and as of this writing, the cheapest is going for $1,050. The money raised woill go towards purchasing more supplies for UNICEF’s efforts. Norwegian’s founder and CEO Bjørn Kjos will also be onboard the flight. If you end up winning, here’s what your itinerary will look like:
- 09:00 – 11:00: Visit UNICEF’s Supply Division in Copenhagen.
- 09:00 – 12:00: Load 144 tons of emergency aid at CPH airport.
- 12:00 – 13:00: Celebrate the unveiling of Norwegian’s UNICEF Dreamliner and the aircraft’s inaugural flight.
- 13:00: Fly 144 tons of emergency aid from CPH to JIB.
- 21:00: Arrival JIB and offloading of cargo.
- 08:00 – 12:00: Visit refugee camp outside of JIB (to be confirmed)
- 13:00: Fly to OSL.
Each winning package is for one person and includes:
- Flights on Norwegian to Copenhagen and from Oslo, to/from any airport served by Norwegian. Winners will be accommodated in Premium class to/from the US (based on availability) or in Economy within Europe (except on routes served by Boeing 787 aircraft where Premium class is available.)
- Seats on the UNICEF humanitarian flights to/from Djibouti.
- Hotel in Djibouti
- All activities mentioned in the schedule above. Note that the refugee camp visit has yet to be confirmed.
- Visa for entry in Djibouti.
Take a look at Norwegian’s 2015 flight that delivered aid to a refugee camp in Jordan.
Featured image by Alec Wilson/Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.