Orphaned Air Berlin A330s Already Find a New Home in Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bankrupt Air Berlin’s long-haul A330s are in the process of being repossessed, but as we learned this week, they won’t be grounded for long.
With a fairly short six-year lease term, it’s possible that these planes will fly for Malaysia with the same interiors they have today. Which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing — I enjoyed my recent business-class flight on Air Berlin, even though the seat was showing its age. The carrier referenced slightly different cabin specs, though, with 19 flat-bed seats in business class and 287 economy seats — so a tweaked arrangement may be more likely.
These six A330-200s will join Malaysia’s existing fleet of six Airbus A380s, 15 A330-300s and 48 Boeing 737s, and will be used on some of the airline’s medium-haul routes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.