This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Somehow we underestimated Delta. Earlier, it looked like Delta flight #2571 would be the last Delta flight into San Juan (SJU) before Hurricane Maria’s arrival. Instead, Delta flight #549 from Atlanta (ATL) to SJU will take the prize of being the last Delta flight to operate to the island before the Category 5 hurricane arrives. The story below has been updated to reflect this new flight.
Two weeks ago, we brought you the story on Delta flying into San Juan (SJU) right before Hurricane Irma reached the island. The flight landed right before the airport was hit by a band of the storm and departed immediately after that band passed and the core of the storm arrived, weaving through a narrow gap to escape the area.
Well, Delta’s in the middle of doing it again. Delta flight #549 departed Atlanta (ATL) at 4:04pm on Tuesday for San Juan’s Luis Muñoz Marín Airport (SJU). Typically scheduled for a 6:07pm departure, Delta pushed the flight forward two hours. Not long into the flight, the flight earned the distinction of being the only inbound flight into SJU, at a time when there was heavy traffic going the opposite direction:
Just like two weeks ago, Delta is operating a Boeing 737-900 (registration N813DN) for what’s sure to be the last flight in and out of the airport.
Earlier in the afternoon, Delta’s flight #2571 operated from New York City’s JFK to SJU. The flight — operated by yet another Boeing 737-900 — landed among a slew of other flights including seven JetBlue flights and one United flight. In this pack of last-minute flights, United #2803 from Orlando (MCO) would be the last to arrive.
Delta flight #2571 was especially interesting, having to fly around Hurricane Jose on its way into the path of Category 5 Hurricane Maria:
In light of the imminent storm, Delta has shared that it has capped fares at $199 for one-way, nonstop flights departing San Juan (SJU), Punta Cana (PUJ), Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI) and Santo Domingo (SDQ) through September 21 and is temporarily waiving baggage and in-cabin pet fees for passengers departing SJU and “several other airports in the region.”
The airline has followed American’s lead by doubling the number of flights between SJU and its hub in Atlanta (ATL) on Tuesday in addition to operating flights much later into the night to give more people a chance at evacuating before the storm descends on the island.
Finally, Delta has issued a new travel waiver, valid from now through September 26, in addition to the existing waivers due to Hurricane Irma. The waiver applies for the four airports mentioned above.
This post will be updated as the story develops.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees