This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 9/18/17: It’s time to register! Head over to this page to activate your Q4 bonus.
On Thursday, Chase announced the Q4 bonus categories for the Chase Freedom Card, which gives you 5% cash back on rotating categories. For the holiday shopping season in Q4, using your Freedom Card will give you the bonus cash back on purchases made at Walmart and department stores. Beginning Friday, September 15, 2017, you can register for the bonus.
As a reminder, the Chase Freedom will give you 5% cash back (or 5x Ultimate Rewards points) for rotating categories when you enroll in the benefit. This elevated earning rate is valid only for the first $1,500 in combined purchases at the selected merchant categories — last quarter, it was restaurants and movie theaters.
You can enroll by going to Chase’s website and entering the primary cardholder’s last name, the last four digits of the card number and the billing zip code. Note that you won’t be able to activate the Q4 bonus before Friday (September 15).
The Walmart category does not include merchants operating within or on Walmart premises such as merchants that sell fast food, beauty services and gas stations. In addition, the department store category does not include supercenters, discount stores or specialty stores (those that sell primarily one line of products, such as shoe stores, pet stores, electronics stores and clothing stores). Visit this page on Friday for a more detailed list of what is and is not included.
If you don’t yet have the Freedom, there’s still time to sign up and take advantage of next quarter’s bonus, as it lasts through December. Currently, the card is offering a $150 (or 15,000 points) bonus after you spend $500 in the first three months. With the card, you’ll get 5% cash back (or 5x points) on rotating categories every quarter and 1% cash back (or 1x points) on all other purchases. If you already have the card, don’t forget to enroll tomorrow to ensure you’re maximizing the no-annual-fee card.
Featured image by Joe Raedle / Getty Images.
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee