Delta Just Added Another Final Domestic 747 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past Tuesday I experienced a redeye flight I’ll never forget. I traveled from Los Angeles to Detroit onboard the final domestic Delta 747 flight. Well, except I didn’t — there’s another final flight; it’s even in the same week!
Delta made headlines Wednesday when it flew a 737-900ER through Hurricane Irma in order to avoid stranding a planeload of passengers in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Now, the carrier’s in the spotlight once again, this time for sending the Queen of the Skies on an evacuation mission to Orlando.
The special 747 flight will depart Orlando at 4:00pm Friday, arriving in Detroit at 6:36pm. From there passengers will be able to connect to Delta flights to other US destinations or beyond — or they can stay in Michigan, far from this deadly storm that’s likely to cause tremendous damage to much of the state of Florida.
As of now the flight appears to be full — and as tempting as it may be, if seats do open up, please do not book them just for the chance to join the “final final” domestic 747 flight. Countless Floridians and tourists alike are desperate to leave ahead of the storm, and booking a seat on this plane will take it away from someone in need.
While this won’t be a party flight in the traditional sense, all of the 376 passengers will surely be thrilled to be on board. The Queen of the Skies will be taking them out of harm’s way.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees