This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting in December, American Airlines is significantly upgrading its bedding options. Teaming up with mattress company Casper, the airline will roll out new bedding products in the premium cabins of many of its international and transcontinental US routes.
These won’t be limited to first and business class. Premium economy passengers will also get the chance to try out some of the new Casper products.
Available on lie-flat international business and first class seats, the full product includes a mattress pad, duvet, pillow, day blanket, lumbar pillow, pajamas and slippers. On the routes that don’t offer lie-flat business class, there will be a reduced set of amenities.
I got to try out the product for myself at American Airlines Media and Investor Day, and I’m impressed. The mattress pad isn’t some thin sheet laid out on the seat, but a very comfortable fitted sheet. The pillow is wonderfully fluffy, but still provides support when using it. The “day blanket” is a significant upgrade from the current blankets. Overall, you can tell that American Airlines spared no expense — which is a change from some of its recent stinginess on 767 and legacy US Air aircraft retrofits.
After trying it out, I caught up with one of Casper’s co-founders, Neil Parikh, to talk about the product.
The Casper team did its homework. The product development team flew in international business class and observed the pros and cons of current bedding options. Using this real life research, it developed products designed to solve issues and be comfortable in the sky. To make sure they got it right, AA and Casper tested the new products on Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) and consulted with flight attendants about fit and comfort.
Rather than just going for brag-worthy items like high thread count, the team found that breathable sheets were a lot more practical and comfortable than dense high tread count sheets. In an attempt to eliminate frustration of the mattress pad moving when you move in your sleep, Casper’s mattress pad is designed as a fitted sheet.
Casper developed and tested over a dozen versions of the pillow to find the right one, and ended up with two pillows instead. Rather than just having one pillow that has to serves both as a back pillow when sitting up and a pillow for your head when sleeping, the team developed a dedicated head pillow and a dedicated lumbar-support pillow.
It’s all well and good when an airline rolls out a new premium product. But, what matters is if it’s actually on your flight. And here’s the good news: American Airlines is going to offer this new bedding on a surprisingly large amount of flights.
- Long-haul international: flights from the US to Europe, southern South America, Asia and the Pacific
- Premium transcontinental routes: between New York’s JFK and Los Angeles (LAX)/San Francisco (SFO) and between Miami (MIA) and LAX
- Boston (BOS) — Los Angeles (LAX)
- New York’s JFK — Seattle (SEA)
- Miami (MIA) — Seattle (SEA)
- US mainland to Hawaii
- US to “Northern Rim of South America” (MAR, MAO, BOG, CCS, CLO, GYE, LPB, MDE, UIO, VVI)
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees