We Tried American Airlines’ New Casper Bedding, and It’s Great
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting in December, American Airlines is significantly upgrading its bedding options. Teaming up with mattress company Casper, the airline will roll out new bedding products in the premium cabins of many of its international and transcontinental US routes.
These won’t be limited to first and business class. Premium economy passengers will also get the chance to try out some of the new Casper products.
Available on lie-flat international business and first class seats, the full product includes a mattress pad, duvet, pillow, day blanket, lumbar pillow, pajamas and slippers. On the routes that don’t offer lie-flat business class, there will be a reduced set of amenities.
I got to try out the product for myself at American Airlines Media and Investor Day, and I’m impressed. The mattress pad isn’t some thin sheet laid out on the seat, but a very comfortable fitted sheet. The pillow is wonderfully fluffy, but still provides support when using it. The “day blanket” is a significant upgrade from the current blankets. Overall, you can tell that American Airlines spared no expense — which is a change from some of its recent stinginess on 767 and legacy US Air aircraft retrofits.
After trying it out, I caught up with one of Casper’s co-founders, Neil Parikh, to talk about the product.
The Casper team did its homework. The product development team flew in international business class and observed the pros and cons of current bedding options. Using this real life research, it developed products designed to solve issues and be comfortable in the sky. To make sure they got it right, AA and Casper tested the new products on Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) and consulted with flight attendants about fit and comfort.
Rather than just going for brag-worthy items like high thread count, the team found that breathable sheets were a lot more practical and comfortable than dense high tread count sheets. In an attempt to eliminate frustration of the mattress pad moving when you move in your sleep, Casper’s mattress pad is designed as a fitted sheet.
Casper developed and tested over a dozen versions of the pillow to find the right one, and ended up with two pillows instead. Rather than just having one pillow that has to serves both as a back pillow when sitting up and a pillow for your head when sleeping, the team developed a dedicated head pillow and a dedicated lumbar-support pillow.
It’s all well and good when an airline rolls out a new premium product. But, what matters is if it’s actually on your flight. And here’s the good news: American Airlines is going to offer this new bedding on a surprisingly large amount of flights.
- Long-haul international: flights from the US to Europe, southern South America, Asia and the Pacific
- Premium transcontinental routes: between New York’s JFK and Los Angeles (LAX)/San Francisco (SFO) and between Miami (MIA) and LAX
- Boston (BOS) — Los Angeles (LAX)
- New York’s JFK — Seattle (SEA)
- Miami (MIA) — Seattle (SEA)
- US mainland to Hawaii
- US to “Northern Rim of South America” (MAR, MAO, BOG, CCS, CLO, GYE, LPB, MDE, UIO, VVI)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees