World’s Longest Pedestrian Bridge Opens in the Swiss Alps
The Swiss seem to have a knack for constructing massive structures — having built the world’s longest stairway and the world’s longest rail tunnel — and this time they’re at it again. According to Zermatt Tourism, the newly opened Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge in Switzerland spans an awesome 1,621 feet and rises as high as 279 feet — and is officially the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge.
Replacing an older suspension bridge that closed due to falling rocks, this one reportedly cost 750,000 Swiss Francs (~$776,000) and was named after its main sponsor, a psychologist and co-owner of a Swiss winery. It offers visitors breathtaking views of Switzerland’s picturesque Grabengufer Valley and the surrounding Matterhorn, Weisshorn and Bernese Alps. It also cuts what used to be a three- or four-hour trek across the valley to a mere 10 minutes.
Be advised, though: the new suspension bridge is definitely not for the fainthearted nor for anyone with a fear of heights. The entire distance of the bridge is grated, allowing hikers to look down at the precipice, which at its lowest point is 28 stories down.
Images courtesy of Zermatt Tourism.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.