World’s Longest Pedestrian Bridge Opens in the Swiss Alps
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Swiss seem to have a knack for constructing massive structures — having built the world’s longest stairway and the world’s longest rail tunnel — and this time they’re at it again. According to Zermatt Tourism, the newly opened Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge in Switzerland spans an awesome 1,621 feet and rises as high as 279 feet — and is officially the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge.
Replacing an older suspension bridge that closed due to falling rocks, this one reportedly cost 750,000 Swiss Francs (~$776,000) and was named after its main sponsor, a psychologist and co-owner of a Swiss winery. It offers visitors breathtaking views of Switzerland’s picturesque Grabengufer Valley and the surrounding Matterhorn, Weisshorn and Bernese Alps. It also cuts what used to be a three- or four-hour trek across the valley to a mere 10 minutes.
Be advised, though: the new suspension bridge is definitely not for the fainthearted nor for anyone with a fear of heights. The entire distance of the bridge is grated, allowing hikers to look down at the precipice, which at its lowest point is 28 stories down.
Images courtesy of Zermatt Tourism.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees