These Are Officially The Healthiest Countries in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Bloomberg Global Health Index recently ranked the world’s healthiest (and unhealthiest) countries based on several factors including life expectancy, health risks (ie. tobacco use and high blood pressure), availability of clean water, malnutrition and causes of death. Coming in at the top spot with a health grade of 93.11 out of 100 is Italy, where babies born today can expect to live well into their 80s.
Perhaps it’s taking in the country’s beautiful coastlines or exploring its plentiful historic sites that keep the Italian brain and body feeling young. Or it could be Italy’s heart-healthy Mediterranean Diet, which includes a plethora of vegetables, extra virgin olive oil, fresh seafood, a healthy dose of wine and spending time relaxing with family and friends (mental health is important, too).
Coming in second place with an average lifespan of 81 years is Iceland, the Nordic island paradise that also ranked high in this year’s list of the world’s happiest countries. While an Icelandic diet is not particularly similar to that of Italy — there’s a lot of lamb and dairy as well as other delicacies like fermented shark — the two countries are similar in that their food is incredibly fresh, with most of it in Iceland being locally-sourced.
The third place spot is occupied by Switzerland, a country known for its gorgeous natural scenery and active, outdoorsy lifestyle. The Swiss also have a universal healthcare system that’s thought to be one of the best in the world.
Singapore made it into the fourth spot and while the cuisine there might not be the paramount factor in its citizens’ longevity — it’s mainly influenced by Malaysian, Chinese, Indian and Indonesian cuisine — the country is extraordinarily clean and has one of the world’s best healthcare systems.
Rounding out the top five healthiest countries is the sunny land down-under, Australia. Despite being home to some of the world’s most dangerous animals, Aussies are still likely to live quite a long and healthy life. Perhaps it’s the abundance of sunshine, beaches and outdoor activities or the overall happy-go-lucky nature of the people who live there, but clearly, they’re doing something right.
Spain, Japan, Sweden, Israel and Luxembourg finished out the top 10, while the remaining 15 countries in the top 25 appeared in the following order, starting with 11th place: Norway, Austria, the Netherlands, France, Finland, Germany, Canada, Cyprus, New Zealand, Greece, Portugal, Ireland, the UK, South Korea and Malta. Sadly, the United States came in 34th place, with a health grade of 73.05, mostly due to its high levels of overweight and obese residents.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.