These Are Officially The Happiest Countries in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
They say that the most important rules of real estate are “location, location and location,” and it would seem the same goes for happiness. If the World Happiness Report, an annual survey that measures the contentedness of a country’s residents, is any indication, the people of Norway must have pretty big smiles on their faces.
John Helliwell, the report’s co-editor and an economist at the University of British Columbia, told CNN what made Norway, the new happiest country on earth, stand out. “By choosing to produce oil deliberately and investing the proceeds for the benefit of future generations, Norway has protected itself from the volatile ups and downs of many other oil-rich economies,” Helliwell said. “This emphasis on the future over the present is made easier by high levels of mutual trust, shared purpose, generosity and good governance. All of these are found in Norway, as well as in the other top countries.”
The Scandinavian hotspot made a pretty impressive jump in the past year, moving into the top spot after two years in fourth place, unseating three-time champion Denmark, moving it down into second place. Iceland and Switzerland rounded out the top four in what the makers of the list, which analyzed the happiness of 155 countries, described as a tight race. Finishing out the top 10 countries were Finland, The Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden (which technically tied for ninth place) and Israel. The United States ranked fourteenth, just ahead of Ireland, but slightly behind Austria. Come on, America — it’s time to take some advice from The Partridge Family and get happy.
Featured image of the Northern Lights over Norway courtesy of Jonathan Nackstrand/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.