United to Issue Tumi Luggage, New Uniforms to 24,000 Flight Attendants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, it turns out Delta isn’t the only US-based airline to announce a Tumi partnership this week — United’s flight attendants will soon be outfitted with a Tumi luggage set, along with brand-new uniforms.
First up is the luggage — all 24,000 flight attendants will get be getting spiffy new luggage this fall, including their choice of a two-wheel or four-wheel rolling bag, but new uniforms are still a few years out, with the airline targeting a launch in 2020. And that makes sense — following AA’s massive uniform debacle, there’s no doubt that United crew members, union workers and executives will follow this new development process closely.
Male flight attendant, pilot and customer service representative uniforms will be developed in partnership with Brooks Brothers, while their female counterparts will wear uniforms created by Tracy Reese. Meanwhile, ramp service, technical operations and catering employees will have uniforms developed by Carhartt.
It does appear that United’s union partners will help oversee this 2+ year development process. Flight attendant union president Ken Diaz had this to say in an airline press release:
High quality, functional uniforms and luggage that flight attendants can be proud of contributes to how we feel about our workplace, our profession and our airline. Safety, health and functionality are fundamental requirements, too, and we appreciate the collaboration of United management with our union to roll out a uniform that meets all of these requirements and demonstrates the commitment to becoming the best airline in the business.
Representatives from all partners met with United employees at all US hubs over the past few months, and it sounds like front-line workers will be very hands-on through the anticipated rollout in 2020.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees