Dining at United’s New Secret Restaurant, Seeing the Solar Eclipse From 35,000 Feet, Mexico Warnings and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Although it’s called “Classified,” United’s new private restaurant isn’t so secret anymore. Check out what it’s like to get in and dine inside Newark Airport’s (EWR) latest addition.
There’s no doubt the biggest phenomenon to come out of the week was the solar eclipse. We flew on a Southwest flight to see what totality would be like from 35,000 feet.
US Issues Travel Warning for Certain Tourist Areas of Mexico
The US State Department’s new warning for Mexico focuses on the increased levels of violence and drug cartels in popular tourist destinations. Here’s everything you need to know.
An NBA player showed a bit of generosity on a recent United flight. Thon Maker of the Milwaukee Bucks jammed his 7’1″ frame into a seat in the last row of economy to help a delayed flight take off faster.
You can now use your ThankYou points for Turkish Airlines (and Star Alliance) flights. Find out what you need to know about Citi’s new transfer partner.
Since the AAdvantage program switched to a revenue-based earning system last year, there have been plenty of changes. Use this guide to learn five things about the program that are essential in order to get the best value.
WOW Air to Launch Service to Four Midwestern Cities With Fares From $99 One-Way
Good news for Midwestern flyers: You’ll soon have new options for getting to Europe. Low-cost carrier WOW Air is launching service from Detroit (DTW), Cleveland (CLE), Cincinnati (CVG) and St. Louis (STL) to Reykjavik (KEF).
In other news…
Upgrade Your Turkish Airlines Flight for 7,500 Miles
Planning on flying with Turkish Airlines soon? You can upgrade your economy ticket to a higher class of service for 7,500 miles. The only major condition is that it must be between Istanbul (IST) and Europe.
EVA Air Retires Its 747, Introduces New Uniforms
This week, EVA Air retired its Boeing 747. And while the news was sad for aviation enthusiasts, the carrier also introduced new uniforms for its crew. The new uniforms will begin to roll out in November 2017.
Retirees Can Now Get a 10-Year Visa for Thailand
Retirees are now eligible for a 10-year visa to Thailand. If you meet certain requirements, such as having health insurance, you can get a visa to the country that’s valid for 10 years.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees