Dining at United’s New Secret Restaurant, Seeing the Solar Eclipse From 35,000 Feet, Mexico Warnings and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Although it’s called “Classified,” United’s new private restaurant isn’t so secret anymore. Check out what it’s like to get in and dine inside Newark Airport’s (EWR) latest addition.
There’s no doubt the biggest phenomenon to come out of the week was the solar eclipse. We flew on a Southwest flight to see what totality would be like from 35,000 feet.
The US State Department’s new warning for Mexico focuses on the increased levels of violence and drug cartels in popular tourist destinations. Here’s everything you need to know.
An NBA player showed a bit of generosity on a recent United flight. Thon Maker of the Milwaukee Bucks jammed his 7’1″ frame into a seat in the last row of economy to help a delayed flight take off faster.
You can now use your ThankYou points for Turkish Airlines (and Star Alliance) flights. Find out what you need to know about Citi’s new transfer partner.
Since the AAdvantage program switched to a revenue-based earning system last year, there have been plenty of changes. Use this guide to learn five things about the program that are essential in order to get the best value.
Good news for Midwestern flyers: You’ll soon have new options for getting to Europe. Low-cost carrier WOW Air is launching service from Detroit (DTW), Cleveland (CLE), Cincinnati (CVG) and St. Louis (STL) to Reykjavik (KEF).
In other news…
Upgrade Your Turkish Airlines Flight for 7,500 Miles
Planning on flying with Turkish Airlines soon? You can upgrade your economy ticket to a higher class of service for 7,500 miles. The only major condition is that it must be between Istanbul (IST) and Europe.
EVA Air Retires Its 747, Introduces New Uniforms
This week, EVA Air retired its Boeing 747. And while the news was sad for aviation enthusiasts, the carrier also introduced new uniforms for its crew. The new uniforms will begin to roll out in November 2017.
Retirees Can Now Get a 10-Year Visa for Thailand
Retirees are now eligible for a 10-year visa to Thailand. If you meet certain requirements, such as having health insurance, you can get a visa to the country that’s valid for 10 years.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.