7’1” NBA Player Volunteers for Last Row of Coach to Prevent Flight Delay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s not often we hear of airline passengers sacrificing their premium seat in return for a seat in the last row of economy — especially if that passenger is a 7-foot-1 NBA player. On a United Airlines flight Sunday night, Milwaukee Bucks center Thon Maker did just that, and he made a friend along the way.
Paul Kuzma also happened to be on Maker’s flight. The two ended up both missing their original trips and found themselves rebooked on the same flight. On the rebooked flight, Kuzma had been assigned to an Economy Plus middle seat, and Maker was in the first-class cabin. However, when flight attendants realized the flight was overbooked for the selected cabins, they started asking for volunteers to move to the economy cabin.
According to a Facebook post on Kuzma’s profile, he volunteered his seat and moved to the last row of economy, where there were an open middle and aisle seat. He took the aisle seat and hoped that the middle would remain vacant. It didn’t last long, however — Kuzma soon saw the 7-foot-1 Maker making his way down the aisle of the aircraft, bound for his row.
As it turned out, Maker had just given up his first-class to move to an Economy Plus seat. Then, again like Kuzma, when flight attendants began making requests for Economy Plus passengers to move to economy, Maker volunteered his seat to prevent the already-delayed flight from being pushed back any further. You can read Kuzma’s entire account in his Facebook post, below:
Kuzma says he was stunned by Maker’s generosity in volunteering to be crammed into an economy seat despite his 7’1” frame. Kuzma recalls that Maker couldn’t even fit in his seat — every time someone walked by or a snack cart came down the aisle, Maker would have to stand up for anything to get by.
“The entire flight, there was not a hint of resentment in his voice,” Kuzma wrote on Facebook. Kuzma had never heard of Maker but quickly became a fan after talking with him on the flight.
We’re so used to hearing stories of passengers not wanting to give up their seats and airlines overbooking flights. But, this instance is a glimmer of hope that if even an NBA player is willing to give up his seat on a flight, maybe we could all be a little bit kinder during our air travels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees