American Airlines Adds Basic Economy to New International Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
In all of its domestic routes by the end of September. In addition, it’s added basic economy on some international routes to Canada. Now, it’s expanding internationally even further — this time, to the south.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that the carrier will offer basic economy on the following Caribbean routes, effective immediately:
- Philadelphia (PHL) — Punta Cana (PUJ)
- Philadelphia (PHL) — St Maarten (SXM)
- Philadelphia (PHL) — Bermuda (BDA)
- Philadelphia (PHL) — Montego Bay (MBJ)
- Philadelphia (PHL) — Nassau (NAS)
- Philadelphia (PHL) — Aruba (AUA)
In addition to the six new routes to the Caribbean from PHL, American is also launching basic economy on a few routes to Mexico. These routes now offer basic economy for AA travelers:
- Dallas (DFW) — Cancun (CUN)
- Amarillo (AMA) — Cancun (CUN)
- Midland (MAF) — Cancun (CUN)
These additions are interesting for American. It seems that while it plans to introduce basic economy to all of its domestic routes by the end of September, it’s expanding to its international routes more quickly. Now, AA offers basic economy on select flights to many of its North American destinations.
As a reminder for those who are unaware, travelers who book American Airlines basic economy fares don’t get seat assignments, board in the last group (Group 9), aren’t allowed to bring a carry-on bag, earn a reduced amount of elite-qualifying miles (EQMs), can’t get upgrades and can’t change their flights.
With that said, you can jump to boarding Group 5, earn back your carry-on bag and get a free checked bag on these basic economy fares just by having a co-branded card such as the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard or the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees