This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, American Airlines nearly doubled its number of basic economy routes. Today, the airline is going international with these new bare-bones fares, which brings the total number of routes ‘featuring’ basic economy to 69. One peculiarity of this extension — all 25 new routes are between US and four Canadian cities: Calgary (YYC), Montreal (YUL), Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR).
Just yesterday, it was announced that United, which has already made basic economy available on all domestic flights, is planning on expanding basic economy to Hawaii and Latin America. While AA has been slower to roll-out basic economy fares overall, it seems the airline was eager be first out of the gate with these additional revenue-generating fares.
Basic economy fares seems to be loaded onto these routes starting this Saturday, June 17:
With these 25 new routes added, AA’s basic economy map is starting to look a lot more crowded:
For those keeping score at home, that’s now 20 airports that have basic economy fares. The new list of most-affected cities is now: Amarillo (AMA, 15 destinations); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW, 15); Midland (MAF, 14); Calgary (YYC, 12) and Miami (MIA, 11).
As a reminder for those who are unaware, travelers who book American Airlines basic economy fares don’t get seat assignments, board in the last group (Group 9), aren’t allowed to bring a carry-on bag, earn a reduced amount of elite-qualifying miles, can’t get upgrades and can’t change these flights.
With that said, you can jump to boarding Group 5, earn back your carry-on bag and get a free checked bag on these basic economy fares just by having a co-branded card such as the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard or the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees