Act Quick: Wide Open American Award Availability on Its New Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines isn’t known for offering flyers much sAAver award availability. Instead, flyers are left with having to purchase some of the carrier’s AAnytime awards, which are almost double what’s required for those at the lower level. Finding sAAver level awards has become almost like finding unicorns — if you find it, you should jump at it. Now, we’re seeing wide open sAAver award space on AA’s new routes.
Just this past week, American announced that it’s going to be launching new seasonal routes to two European cities from Philadelphia (PHL) — Budapest (BUD) and Prague (PRG) — as well as to Venice (VCE) from Chicago (ORD). As View From the Wing reports, the award calendars are now open for the new routes, which are scheduled to operate between May 4 and October 27, 2018.
This represents a great opportunity to book these new routes at a discounted level — something that surely won’t last long. Here are some examples at what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Budapest (BUD) in April/May:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in June/July:
Chicago (ORD) to Venice (VCE) in May/June:
The examples above have each been for one traveler. But, we’re seeing that these awards are so open that you can find sAAver level awards for multiple travelers. For example, this is what you get when you search for four travelers between PHL and BUD in April/May:
While business class will cost you 57,500 AA miles + taxes and fees each way, economy will run you 30,000 miles. We’re seeing the same kind of open availability at the sAAver level for economy during the same period as well.
For example, Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in May/June:
This award space likely isn’t going to remain this wide open for long. If you’ve been considering a trip to Europe, these awards are a great way to get you there. BUD, PRG and VCE are great gateways to a further European vacation, so act quick if you want to jump on these prime summer dates.
If you want to accrue more American miles, you can earn 60,000 bonus miles if you sign up for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. You can also earn 50,000 bonus miles after signing up for the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and spending $5,000 in the same amount of time. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Daggar Photography via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees