Act Quick: Wide Open American Award Availability on Its New Routes
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines isn’t known for offering flyers much sAAver award availability. Instead, flyers are left with having to purchase some of the carrier’s AAnytime awards, which are almost double what’s required for those at the lower level. Finding sAAver level awards has become almost like finding unicorns — if you find it, you should jump at it. Now, we’re seeing wide open sAAver award space on AA’s new routes.
Just this past week, American announced that it’s going to be launching new seasonal routes to two European cities from Philadelphia (PHL) — Budapest (BUD) and Prague (PRG) — as well as to Venice (VCE) from Chicago (ORD). As View From the Wing reports, the award calendars are now open for the new routes, which are scheduled to operate between May 4 and October 27, 2018.
This represents a great opportunity to book these new routes at a discounted level — something that surely won’t last long. Here are some examples at what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Budapest (BUD) in April/May:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in June/July:
Chicago (ORD) to Venice (VCE) in May/June:
The examples above have each been for one traveler. But, we’re seeing that these awards are so open that you can find sAAver level awards for multiple travelers. For example, this is what you get when you search for four travelers between PHL and BUD in April/May:
While business class will cost you 57,500 AA miles + taxes and fees each way, economy will run you 30,000 miles. We’re seeing the same kind of open availability at the sAAver level for economy during the same period as well.
For example, Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in May/June:
This award space likely isn’t going to remain this wide open for long. If you’ve been considering a trip to Europe, these awards are a great way to get you there. BUD, PRG and VCE are great gateways to a further European vacation, so act quick if you want to jump on these prime summer dates.
If you want to accrue more American miles, you can earn 60,000 bonus miles if you sign up for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. You can also earn 50,000 bonus miles after signing up for the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and spending $5,000 in the same amount of time. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Daggar Photography via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.