This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
American Airlines isn’t known for offering flyers much sAAver award availability. Instead, flyers are left with having to purchase some of the carrier’s AAnytime awards, which are almost double what’s required for those at the lower level. Finding sAAver level awards has become almost like finding unicorns — if you find it, you should jump at it. Now, we’re seeing wide open sAAver award space on AA’s new routes.
Just this past week, American announced that it’s going to be launching new seasonal routes to two European cities from Philadelphia (PHL) — Budapest (BUD) and Prague (PRG) — as well as to Venice (VCE) from Chicago (ORD). As View From the Wing reports, the award calendars are now open for the new routes, which are scheduled to operate between May 4 and October 27, 2018.
This represents a great opportunity to book these new routes at a discounted level — something that surely won’t last long. Here are some examples at what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Budapest (BUD) in April/May:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in June/July:
Chicago (ORD) to Venice (VCE) in May/June:
The examples above have each been for one traveler. But, we’re seeing that these awards are so open that you can find sAAver level awards for multiple travelers. For example, this is what you get when you search for four travelers between PHL and BUD in April/May:
While business class will cost you 57,500 AA miles + taxes and fees each way, economy will run you 30,000 miles. We’re seeing the same kind of open availability at the sAAver level for economy during the same period as well.
For example, Philadelphia (PHL) to Prague (PRG) in May/June:
This award space likely isn’t going to remain this wide open for long. If you’ve been considering a trip to Europe, these awards are a great way to get you there. BUD, PRG and VCE are great gateways to a further European vacation, so act quick if you want to jump on these prime summer dates.
If you want to accrue more American miles, you can earn 50,000 bonus miles if you sign up for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and spend $2,500 in the first three months of account opening, or earn 75,000 bonus miles after signing up for the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and spending $7,500 in the same amount of time.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Daggar Photography via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees