Elon Musk Claims the NYC to Washington, D.C. Hyperloop Is a Go
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk tweeted this morning that he’d received an informal go-ahead to begin tunneling an East Coast Hyperloop, fueling speculation that the future of travel could be just over the horizon.
According to Musk’s tweet, the Hyperloop would run between New York and Washington, D.C. — and would stop in Philadelphia and Baltimore along the way. A trip would take a mere 29 minutes, speedy enough to put current transit options — about 1 hour 20 minutes by air and just under 3 hours by rail — to shame.
At the center of Musk’s bid to revolutionize Northeast corridor transit is The Boring Company, an upstart infrastructure firm that apparently sprung from the billionaire entrepreneur’s deepest, darkest hatred: Traffic. In mid-December 2016, Musk tweeted, “Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging…” An hour later The Boring Company was born.
If Musk’s latest moonshot project is actually able to clear the many federal, state and local governmental hurdles that almost certainly stand in its way, things could get very interesting. Watch out Acela — a new speed king may be coming to town.
Featured image of the “Godot” tunnel boring machine courtesy of The Boring Company.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees