Hyperloop One Completes Test Track; Details US Route Network Proposals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The reality of Hyperloop coming to the US is getting closer and closer. This week, Hyperloop One met with policymakers in Washington, D.C. to propose its 11 teams, which would service 35 cities in the US. The 11 teams are proposing plans to compete with 24 others around the world. Hyperloop One will select 12 finalists before choosing three to bring to life.
The 11 teams include routes of varying lengths. You can find the proposals below:
|Route Name||Proposing Team||Route Length|
|Boston-Somerset-Providence||Hyperloop Massachusetts||64 miles|
|Cheyenne-Houston||Rocky Mountain Hyperloop Consortium||1,152 miles|
|Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh||Hyperloop Midwest||488 miles|
|Colorado Front Range/Mtn. Network||Rocky Mountain Hyperloop||360 miles|
|Colorado Front Range||Colorado Hyperloop||242 miles|
|Kansas City-St. Louis||Hyperloop Missouri||240 miles|
|Los Angeles-San Diego||Hyperloop West||121 miles|
|Miami-Orlando||Hyperloop Florida||257 miles|
|Reno-Las Vegas||Hyperloop Nevada||454 miles|
|Seattle-Portland||PNW Hyperloop||173 miles|
|Texas Triangle||Hyperloop Texas||640 miles|
The longest of the proposed routes, which would run between Cheyenne and Houston (1,152 miles), takes about 16.5 hours to travel by car. With Hyperloop on that route, which is designed to travel at speeds of up to 800 miles per hour, travel time would be cut down to just about an hour and 45 minutes.
These meetings come at a time when the actual Hyperloop test system is within reach of completion. According to TechCrunch, Hyperloop One finalized the tube component of its test track, called DeveLop, this week. It’s located in the Nevada desert and is about 500 meters long. So, if the test tube goes according to plan, the company will be able to work out kinks before a commercial launch sometime in the future.
This news is the latest in the journey of Hyperloop becoming a reality. There are also possibilities of the Hyperloop developing in other regions around the world — Europe and the Middle East, to name a couple. It’s interesting to see these potential routes here at home, which could connect parts of the country in ways never seen before.
Featured image courtesy of David Becker via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.