Hyperloop One Completes Test Track; Details US Route Network Proposals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The reality of Hyperloop coming to the US is getting closer and closer. This week, Hyperloop One met with policymakers in Washington, D.C. to propose its 11 teams, which would service 35 cities in the US. The 11 teams are proposing plans to compete with 24 others around the world. Hyperloop One will select 12 finalists before choosing three to bring to life.
The 11 teams include routes of varying lengths. You can find the proposals below:
|Route Name||Proposing Team||Route Length|
|Boston-Somerset-Providence||Hyperloop Massachusetts||64 miles|
|Cheyenne-Houston||Rocky Mountain Hyperloop Consortium||1,152 miles|
|Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh||Hyperloop Midwest||488 miles|
|Colorado Front Range/Mtn. Network||Rocky Mountain Hyperloop||360 miles|
|Colorado Front Range||Colorado Hyperloop||242 miles|
|Kansas City-St. Louis||Hyperloop Missouri||240 miles|
|Los Angeles-San Diego||Hyperloop West||121 miles|
|Miami-Orlando||Hyperloop Florida||257 miles|
|Reno-Las Vegas||Hyperloop Nevada||454 miles|
|Seattle-Portland||PNW Hyperloop||173 miles|
|Texas Triangle||Hyperloop Texas||640 miles|
The longest of the proposed routes, which would run between Cheyenne and Houston (1,152 miles), takes about 16.5 hours to travel by car. With Hyperloop on that route, which is designed to travel at speeds of up to 800 miles per hour, travel time would be cut down to just about an hour and 45 minutes.
These meetings come at a time when the actual Hyperloop test system is within reach of completion. According to TechCrunch, Hyperloop One finalized the tube component of its test track, called DeveLop, this week. It’s located in the Nevada desert and is about 500 meters long. So, if the test tube goes according to plan, the company will be able to work out kinks before a commercial launch sometime in the future.
This news is the latest in the journey of Hyperloop becoming a reality. There are also possibilities of the Hyperloop developing in other regions around the world — Europe and the Middle East, to name a couple. It’s interesting to see these potential routes here at home, which could connect parts of the country in ways never seen before.
Featured image courtesy of David Becker via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees