This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What would it be like to ride on the Hyperloop — the 700 mph (1,100 km/hr) propulsion-driven transportation of the future?
In the video below from Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, you can see how it would look to ride in a windowless pod that is zooming through an airless tube and carrying passengers at the speed of sound (or really close to it).
Initial impression of the pod ride is that, apart from the superfast speed, it looks like it is going to be pretty… well… boring.
The interiors of the transportation pods show a narrow tube, with an even narrower aisle, crammed with as many seats as possible. Already, people are pointing out that the space is even smaller than typical coach seats on a budget flight.
Don’t expect windows on the pod either — the company is reportedly working with a Munich-based company specializing in virtual and augmented reality that would simulate the scenery that you would be seeing as you travel from point A to point B.
So you’re not actually seeing any pretty sights. It’s like watching a National Geographic video of Niagara Falls instead of actually seeing Niagara Falls.
Hyperloop Transportation hopes to convince skeptics of the technology, convincing them that it is indeed safe for passengers and will even be made from a new type of carbon fiber called Vibranium that’s supposedly super strong that it’s enough to make pods extra safe.
Of course, you should keep in mind that these images are simply renderings and we have yet to see what the real Hyperloop experience will be like. So there may be hope yet.
This article was written by June Javelosa and originally appeared on Futurism.com.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards