This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United Arab Emirates has shared its plan to build the world’s first Hyperloop system that will connect the cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The project, which will be undertaken by Hyperloop One, will allow travelers to get from one city to the other in as little as 12 minutes. Normally it takes 2 hours by bus or 1.5 hours by car to complete the 99-mile journey. Hyperloop is a transportation concept created by billionaire inventor Elon Musk that utilizes a vacuum system that hurtles travelers through tubes at high speeds.
Hyperloop One signed an agreement with the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority on November 8 to plan and test the new route. The plan even proposes that self-driving cars will shuttle passengers from Hyperloop stations to their final destination, creating a more integrated and seamless transportation experience. This on step toward the UAE’s goal of making 25% of the country’s transportation methods driverless by 2030.
To date, Dubai’s port operator, DP World, has invested $50 million in a Hyperloop track to shuttle cargo around the country. Although there is no official timeline for when the project will be completed, the head of Hyperloop One, Rob Lloyd, said that it would be possible to have a “Hyperloop One system built in the UAE in the next five years.” The press release also mentioned that it would cut travel time from Dubai to Riyadh, the Saudi Arabian capital, to less than 48 minutes.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.