The Infatuation’s Text Recommendations Arrive in LA, Thanks to Delta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
There are more than 10,000 restaurants in Los Angeles, according to TripAdvisor. And with so many to choose from, we understand the daunting decision-making process that visitors and locals go through. Fortunately, Delta SkyMiles members can use Text Rex LA, a new service that launched last week offering free, personalized restaurant recommendations in the City of Angels through January 2018.
The original service, which launched in the New York City area in 2015, came into fruition after the founders of The Infatuation, a website with guides and reviews on food, discovered that rather than using automated chat “bots,” personal recommendations by other humans resulted in deeper connections with its readers.
Using Text Rex is a simple process; since it’s a text-based service, all users have to do is send a message with a question about where to eat. After that, trained team members use The Infatuation’s categorized food database to come up with suggestions based on your situation, asking simple questions like what the occasion is, what you’re craving and what your ideal location would be. Today, Text Rex’s NYC service answers over 500 foodie-related questions each day and caters to more than 35,000 users.
“Our support of The Infatuation and bringing Text Rex exclusively to SkyMiles members in LA lets us engage our customers in a relevant way by providing more of what they value,” Julieta McCurry, Delta’s managing director of US marketing communications, told Adweek.
After multiple scandals in the aviation industry, airlines are finally starting to understand the importance of forming more personal relationships with its customers. With Text Rex, members of Delta’s loyalty program can explore Los Angeles with some insider knowledge. When explaining the partnership, McCurry added: “We understand the importance of being locally relevant to prove to Angelenos we want to be their airline of choice.”
Next time you have a date night in West Hollywood or brunch in Venice Beach, perhaps give Text Rex a try. After all, Delta SkyMiles membership is free — and the only prerequisite for joining the service. As always, be sure to use a credit card when dining out to make the most of your meal. Certain cards — including the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x Ultimate Rewards points), Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points) and Citi Prestige Card (2x ThankYou points) — offer a great return on restaurant purchases.
Has Text Rex helped you find a new place to eat? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Jaromir Chalabala / EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees