The Infatuation’s Text Recommendations Arrive in LA, Thanks to Delta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are more than 10,000 restaurants in Los Angeles, according to TripAdvisor. And with so many to choose from, we understand the daunting decision-making process that visitors and locals go through. Fortunately, Delta SkyMiles members can use Text Rex LA, a new service that launched last week offering free, personalized restaurant recommendations in the City of Angels through January 2018.
The original service, which launched in the New York City area in 2015, came into fruition after the founders of The Infatuation, a website with guides and reviews on food, discovered that rather than using automated chat “bots,” personal recommendations by other humans resulted in deeper connections with its readers.
Using Text Rex is a simple process; since it’s a text-based service, all users have to do is send a message with a question about where to eat. After that, trained team members use The Infatuation’s categorized food database to come up with suggestions based on your situation, asking simple questions like what the occasion is, what you’re craving and what your ideal location would be. Today, Text Rex’s NYC service answers over 500 foodie-related questions each day and caters to more than 35,000 users.
“Our support of The Infatuation and bringing Text Rex exclusively to SkyMiles members in LA lets us engage our customers in a relevant way by providing more of what they value,” Julieta McCurry, Delta’s managing director of US marketing communications, told Adweek.
After multiple scandals in the aviation industry, airlines are finally starting to understand the importance of forming more personal relationships with its customers. With Text Rex, members of Delta’s loyalty program can explore Los Angeles with some insider knowledge. When explaining the partnership, McCurry added: “We understand the importance of being locally relevant to prove to Angelenos we want to be their airline of choice.”
Next time you have a date night in West Hollywood or brunch in Venice Beach, perhaps give Text Rex a try. After all, Delta SkyMiles membership is free — and the only prerequisite for joining the service. As always, be sure to use a credit card when dining out to make the most of your meal. Certain cards — including the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x Ultimate Rewards points), Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points) and Citi Prestige Card (2x ThankYou points) — offer a great return on restaurant purchases.
Has Text Rex helped you find a new place to eat? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Jaromir Chalabala / EyeEm via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees