Despite Scandals, a Record Number of Passengers Flew United in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s spring was rocked with scandals — from BumpGate, LeggingsGate and ScorpionGate to SundaeGate, RantGate and TobaccoGate. All of these incidents left a lot of flyers taking to social media to swear off the airline. However, numbers can tell a whole different story, so we’ve been keeping a close eye on United’s traffic releases.
In May, the airline posted an impressive 79% drop in involuntary denied boardings with strong traffic. But, June’s numbers are even better — more than 13.5 million passengers boarded a United flight last month. Based on TPG analysis, that’s the most passengers the PR-beleaguered airline has carried — since at least the beginning of 2014.
However, this hasn’t been from filling up aircraft. In fact, United’s loads (the percentage of seats filled with passengers) was the lowest it’s been in years. Instead, United is fueling this passenger growth through massive expansion in available seat miles. On just its mainline domestic routes, United had a whopping 10.8% more capacity in June 2017 compared with a year prior.
Other numbers that stand out in June’s report: United completed 99.5% of its scheduled flights, “only” canceling 0.5%. But, United’s on-time departure rate was quite poor. Only 64.5% of United’s flights departed by the scheduled departure time. Mind you, this doesn’t mean that the flights ended up being late. Between schedule padding (scheduling flights longer than they should take) and the 14-minute grace period that the FAA allows for “on time” arrivals, 78.6% of United’s flights were deemed to arrive on-time. This put United second behind operational-powerhouse Delta.
Were you one of the 13.5 million who flew United in June?
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees