United Pilot Removed From Flight After Bizarre Behavior
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United captain was removed from her flight last night after showing up for duty out of uniform and making strange announcements to passengers over the plane’s PA system.
The incident began before takeoff of United Flight #455 in Austin (AUS) when the pilot boarded the aircraft wearing plainclothes and flip-flops along with a green cap and asked passengers to vote on whether she should change into her uniform or fly as she was dressed.
She proceeded to explain that she was “going through a divorce” and addressed an interracial couple sitting together in the front of the plane. The situation became more uncomfortable when she began to discuss the recent election, saying “look, I don’t care if you voted for Trump or Clinton, they’re both a–holes.” At one point, she also said that “you don’t have to fly if you’re not comfortable” and mentioned she was gong to be on Oprah.
When the captain noticed unnerved passengers starting to disembark the aircraft, she told them “I’ll stop and we’ll fly the plane. Don’t worry. I’m going to let my co-pilot fly it. He’s a man.”
Passengers reacted on social media, with one posting a photo of the pilot being removed from the flight by staff and police.
Eventually a new captain for the San Francisco-bound flight was found after a delay of roughly two hours, during which passengers were provided snacks and a meal voucher.
It’s unclear why this captain’s abnormal behavior wasn’t noticed before she boarded the plane. Pilots generally start their day in the briefing room examining weather and maintenance paperwork along with the flight plan, and conferring with their crew.
A United spokesman didn’t know why the pilot was allowed on the plane in regular clothes, but said the company will discuss the incident with her. The airline employs over 82,000 people, including more than 12,000 pilots who are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association.
“We hold our employees to the highest standards and replaced this pilot with a new one to operate the flight,” the company said in a statement to TPG. “We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”
Featured image courtesy of Stephen Brashear/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees