This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines have been playing around with the idea of biometric identity verification for a while now. Earlier this year, we told you how KLM was testing facial recognition for boarding, Delta introduced a face-scanning baggage drop and more. Now, Delta is taking the technology a step further with using biometrics to board the aircraft.
Delta is currently testing the technology at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA). With it, Delta customers can use their fingerprint to board their flight rather than the traditional boarding pass. The final phase of biometric rollout for Delta at DCA is allowing passengers to use their fingerprints to check a bag, which it expects to launch later this summer.
There is a catch, however, as you must be enrolled in CLEAR in order to forgo your mobile or paper boarding pass in favor of using your fingerprint. If you’re interested in trying it out, make sure you have a SkyMiles number and a CLEAR membership. From there, you can use your fingerprint to identify yourself at Sky Club entry, boarding and (eventually) bag drop.
If you don’t yet have a CLEAR membership, you can sign up for one to get expedited security screening access. As a reminder, a CLEAR membership costs $179 annually. However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. Or, if you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees