Delta Launches Biometric Boarding in Washington, D.C.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airlines have been playing around with the idea of biometric identity verification for a while now. Earlier this year, we told you how KLM was testing facial recognition for boarding, Delta introduced a face-scanning baggage drop and more. Now, Delta is taking the technology a step further with using biometrics to board the aircraft.
Delta is currently testing the technology at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA). With it, Delta customers can use their fingerprint to board their flight rather than the traditional boarding pass. The final phase of biometric rollout for Delta at DCA is allowing passengers to use their fingerprints to check a bag, which it expects to launch later this summer.
There is a catch, however, as you must be enrolled in CLEAR in order to forgo your mobile or paper boarding pass in favor of using your fingerprint. If you’re interested in trying it out, make sure you have a SkyMiles number and a CLEAR membership. From there, you can use your fingerprint to identify yourself at Sky Club entry, boarding and (eventually) bag drop.
If you don’t yet have a CLEAR membership, you can sign up for one to get expedited security screening access. As a reminder, a CLEAR membership costs $179 annually. However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. Or, if you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.