Complete Global Entry Interview Upon Arrival From an International Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scheduling a Global Entry interview just got a little easier as the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency announced it has launched an “Enrollment on Arrival” service at five airports in the US, allowing travelers to complete their Global Entry enrollment interview as part of the immigration process when arriving from an international trip.
The new program, which is now available at both Houston airports (IAH and HOU), Austin (AUS), San Francisco (SFO) and Vancouver (YVR), is open to those who have already submitted the online Global Entry application and been conditionally approved for membership — but still must complete the in-person interview. Rather than scheduling an appointment at a local Global Entry location, passengers can interview while simultaneously clearing customs from an international trip if they are returning to the United States through one of the five airports.
Eligible travelers who wish to take advantage of the service will be directed to an “Enrollment on Arrival” booth where a customs officer will conduct the standard inspection procedures and the Global Entry interview at the same time — while also collecting the traveler’s fingerprints for Global Entry kiosk access. Once the process is successfully completed, the traveler is a Global Entry member during the five-year membership period.
Global Entry is a popular immigration program for regular international travelers, allowing expedited screening for passengers arriving back into the United States from travel abroad. Often the most frustrating part of getting Global Entry is scheduling the interview, as high demand at many locations results in long wait times of weeks or even months. CBP intends to expand Enrollment on Arrival to other airports in the coming months, and expects the service to reduce interview wait times and lessen demand at other interview locations.
The Points Guy highly recommends Global Entry for those who travel outside of the US — even on a semi-regular basis. Travelers can even get the $100 application fee refunded if you pay for it using a credit card that offers a Global Entry fee waiver or rebate. If you’re approved for Global Entry, you’ll also receive TSA PreCheck membership for expedited processing at TSA security checkpoints within the States as well.
Featured image courtesy of Chris Hondros/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.