British Airways Unveils Star-Studded Safety Video — But at What Cost?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the traditional sense, airplane safety videos aren’t the most exciting cinematic productions. But, British Airways is attempting to make its latest video one, which it’s calling, “Director’s Cut.”
The video stars British comedian Asim Chaudhry as he auditions English actors and actresses for a part in a new safety video. The video features appearances from figures such as Gordon Ramsay, Ian McKellen, Gillian Anderson, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Rowan Atkinson and more. You can watch the video, which is set to air on BA flights beginning September 1, 2017, below:
With the bits of dry British sense of humor scattered throughout, there’s no doubt that it’s uniquely BA. But, it raises some questions from the flyer perspective. The new video comes at a particularly difficult time for the carrier — when employees are striking over pay disputes and it’s making cuts to its in-flight experience for passengers.
Earlier this year, the carrier announced that it was going to require passengers to pay for drinks — even tea — and snacks on short-haul BA flights. In addition, it announced some more cost-cutting moves, such as scaling back meal service on some transatlantic routes, pulling some amenities for passengers in its Club World cabin and reducing seat pitch on some of its short-haul aircraft. And who can forget the massive IT meltdown that forced the carrier to cancel more than 700 flights. Of course, that turned out to be human error rather than a cost-cutting mechanism, but nonetheless, BA has left a sour taste in travelers’ mouths for a while now.
So, it begs the question: Why is British Airways spending money on celebrity appearances in its on-board safety video when it’s making such drastic costs to its in-flight experience? Maybe we don’t know the whole story behind these celebrity appearances, but it’s a question worth asking.
What do you think of BA’s new safety video?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees