This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, an IT glitch made it temporarily impossible to book American Airlines flights using some partner currencies, such as British Airways Avios. Fortunately, that issue has been fixed, and you can once again search (and book) AA award flights via British Airways’ site.
That’s great news for BA members looking to book longer short-haul flights (of up to 1,151 miles) within the US, which you can book for just 7,500 Avios (which are far easier to come by than AAdvantage miles). Additionally, British Airways doesn’t charge AA’s $75 close-in processing fee. So, for frequent flyers “in the know,” this temporary outage was hardly ideal.
Were you unable to book AA flights via British Airways?
Featured image by John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards