Woman Gives Birth on Spirit Airlines Flight, Baby Gets Flights For Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cristina Penton boarded a Spirit airlines flight from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) last week expecting to arrive at her destination without drama. Little did she know that hours later she’d be in New Orleans with a brand new family member.
Shortly after taking off, Penton, who was 36 weeks pregnant, notified flight attendants that she wasn’t feeling well. Penton thought she was far enough away from her due date that she wouldn’t be having her child anytime soon. But, the flight attendants were quick to help, and gave her free bottles of water — which Spirit, an ultra low cost carrier, usually charges for.
Luckily, there was a nurse and a pediatrician on board who sprung into action after the mother of two started having contractions. There was no stopping this baby — Penton’s water had broken and after just three pushes, Christoph Carsten Lezcano was born. Even though Penton was so far along in her pregnancy, she believed she’d be fine. Her husband, who wasn’t traveling with her simply said, “I told you so” after the baby was born.
At that point the crew diverted to New Orleans (MSY) to make an emergency landing. Doctors said that baby Christoph is healthy and that there are no complications with the 7-pound infant. “It went really, really quick. There was no time to prepare or land or do anything,” Penton told CNN. “He did what he wanted. We were all just along for the ride.”
Along with the surprise gift of a healthy newborn boy, the family received another gift that day — Spirit will give Christoph and a companion a free flight every year on his birthday. Spirit also plans on having a sale in the newborn’s name.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.