Woman Gives Birth on Spirit Airlines Flight, Baby Gets Flights For Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cristina Penton boarded a Spirit airlines flight from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) last week expecting to arrive at her destination without drama. Little did she know that hours later she’d be in New Orleans with a brand new family member.
Shortly after taking off, Penton, who was 36 weeks pregnant, notified flight attendants that she wasn’t feeling well. Penton thought she was far enough away from her due date that she wouldn’t be having her child anytime soon. But, the flight attendants were quick to help, and gave her free bottles of water — which Spirit, an ultra low cost carrier, usually charges for.
Luckily, there was a nurse and a pediatrician on board who sprung into action after the mother of two started having contractions. There was no stopping this baby — Penton’s water had broken and after just three pushes, Christoph Carsten Lezcano was born. Even though Penton was so far along in her pregnancy, she believed she’d be fine. Her husband, who wasn’t traveling with her simply said, “I told you so” after the baby was born.
At that point the crew diverted to New Orleans (MSY) to make an emergency landing. Doctors said that baby Christoph is healthy and that there are no complications with the 7-pound infant. “It went really, really quick. There was no time to prepare or land or do anything,” Penton told CNN. “He did what he wanted. We were all just along for the ride.”
Along with the surprise gift of a healthy newborn boy, the family received another gift that day — Spirit will give Christoph and a companion a free flight every year on his birthday. Spirit also plans on having a sale in the newborn’s name.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees