A $105 Flight From Europe, Basic Economy Invasion, World’s Longest 787 Route and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Associate Editor Emily McNutt had the chance to fly LEVEL’s inaugural flight from Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX). Does this brand-new airline have what it takes to compete with established low-cost carriers like Norwegian?
Basic Economy is an epidemic that’s rapidly spreading across the commercial aviation industry, and United is by far the worst offender of the three legacy US airlines. Find out why its Basic Economy product is particularly maddening.
The recent trend of airlines adding ultra-long-haul flights to their route maps continues with United’s announcement of a new nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Singapore (SIN). The flight will be operated by the carrier’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and begins on October 27, 2017.
Credit cards are the thing here at TPG. So, in response to TPG’s own 2017 credit card inventory post, we wanted the rest of the Editorial Team to weigh in with their own inventory. Check out which cards Assistant Editor Emily McNutt carries in her wallet.
If you’ve been pursuing the Southwest Companion Pass, now’s the time to act. Chase and Southwest are offering elevated sign-up bonuses with the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, which both offer 60,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months.
AA is beginning to revamp its fleet of Boeing 777-200s this month to include its new premium economy product. Though the seats themselves may be installed on the aircraft before, it’s going to begin selling premium economy as a separate class of service on these aircraft as of December 15, 2017.
SPG has rolled out mobile check-in at 23 properties in the US, with more hotels (including international locations) scheduled to be included later this summer.
In other news…
Flying Blue Promo Awards for June
Flying Blue has released this month’s promo awards, which allows you to book award tickets at a discounted mileage rate. You must book by June 30, 2017 for travel in August. This month’s awards are limited, but if you’re based in Boston or Chicago, you can find some good deals.
Southwest Testing a Speedier Deplaning Process in California
After testing a dual-door deplaning process at Burbank Airport (BUR), Southwest is expanding this trial process to two northern California airports — San Jose (SJC) and Sacramento (SMF).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.