A $105 Flight From Europe, Basic Economy Invasion, World’s Longest 787 Route and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Associate Editor Emily McNutt had the chance to fly LEVEL’s inaugural flight from Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX). Does this brand-new airline have what it takes to compete with established low-cost carriers like Norwegian?
Basic Economy is an epidemic that’s rapidly spreading across the commercial aviation industry, and United is by far the worst offender of the three legacy US airlines. Find out why its Basic Economy product is particularly maddening.
The recent trend of airlines adding ultra-long-haul flights to their route maps continues with United’s announcement of a new nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Singapore (SIN). The flight will be operated by the carrier’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and begins on October 27, 2017.
Credit cards are the thing here at TPG. So, in response to TPG’s own 2017 credit card inventory post, we wanted the rest of the Editorial Team to weigh in with their own inventory. Check out which cards Assistant Editor Emily McNutt carries in her wallet.
If you’ve been pursuing the Southwest Companion Pass, now’s the time to act. Chase and Southwest are offering elevated sign-up bonuses with the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, which both offer 60,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months.
AA is beginning to revamp its fleet of Boeing 777-200s this month to include its new premium economy product. Though the seats themselves may be installed on the aircraft before, it’s going to begin selling premium economy as a separate class of service on these aircraft as of December 15, 2017.
SPG has rolled out mobile check-in at 23 properties in the US, with more hotels (including international locations) scheduled to be included later this summer.
In other news…
Flying Blue Promo Awards for June
Flying Blue has released this month’s promo awards, which allows you to book award tickets at a discounted mileage rate. You must book by June 30, 2017 for travel in August. This month’s awards are limited, but if you’re based in Boston or Chicago, you can find some good deals.
Southwest Testing a Speedier Deplaning Process in California
After testing a dual-door deplaning process at Burbank Airport (BUR), Southwest is expanding this trial process to two northern California airports — San Jose (SJC) and Sacramento (SMF).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees