NYC Yellow Taxi Cabs Now Offer Group Riding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City taxi yellow cabs now offer passengers a ride sharing option, opening the possibility for reduced fares in the city’s most recognizable transport option. Launching today, the ride-sharing program comes through a partnership between taxi-hailing app Curb and carpool route-mapping service Via. Curb uses parent company Verifone’s taxi technology — installed in about 65% of the city’s fleet — to link drivers to passengers, while Via’s mapping algorithm finds passengers traveling similar routes.
Riders can save as much as 40% off their normal fare when carpooling, and automatically shave $.095 off Curb’s $1.95 booking fee when they choose the “Share” option. If no other passengers hop on for the ride the original passenger pays their fare in full.
“We are always looking for ways to improve taxis and make them more competitive through technology,” said Jason Gross, head of product and marketing for Verifone’s taxi services. “As with our recent launch of wheelchair accessibility, shared rides are about providing more options, in this case at lower cost, to the riding public.”
Group riding will initially be available between 32nd street and 110th street in Manhattan with city-wide expansions coming soon. The company also plans on launching taxi group riding in other cities in the coming months.
Ride-sharing is already available across the city through Uber and Lyft and other platforms. But while those services are known to charge surge-pricing, Curb doesn’t. Curb also only works with licensed taxi drivers, while Uber and Lyft contract private drivers.
New York’s Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC), which oversees the yellow cab fleet, is looking forward to the new service.
“The TLC has always strongly championed group riding in taxis and for-hire cars,” said TLC commissioner and chair Meera Joshi. “This is an area where we believe the private sector can excel in ways that have eluded our own best efforts, and we are pleased to see this new option available to the riding public.”
The program could be a boon for the taxi drivers as well. Gross explained that group riding cuts driver downtime, resulting in more fares and thus higher earnings.
Featured image courtesy of Verifone
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees