Phoenix Heatwave Forces American Airlines to Cancel 50 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Those living in or visiting Phoenix aren’t the only ones feeling the heat with record-breaking temperatures this week. Airlines — and specifically American Airlines — have been forced to cancel flights into and out of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) because the heat has proven to be too scorching to operate some aircraft.
The triple-digit temperatures that have plagued Phoenix during this week’s heatwave have forced American to cancel 50 flights. On Tuesday, Phoenix hit a daily record when temperatures reached a scorching 119°F. And, as a result, AA was forced to cancel 43 flights that were scheduled to operate to or from PHX. On Monday, seven flights were canceled when temperatures peaked at 118°F.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) June 21, 2017
“The primary concern is regional aircraft that are operated by Mesa and SkyWest,” a spokesman from AA said. “We use CRJs, and their maximum operating temperature is 118 degrees. Boeing/Airbus is higher.”
If you’re traveling to or from Phoenix today and your flight is scheduled to arrive or depart between 3:00pm and 6:00pm, AA is offering the flexibility to change your travel without a fee. If this impacts your flight, you can call AA reservations at 1-800-433-7300. In addition, AA is recommending to check the status of your flight on aa.com before heading to the airport.
AA doesn’t anticipate that the heat will impact any of its flights past today.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees