Phoenix Heatwave Forces American Airlines to Cancel 50 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Those living in or visiting Phoenix aren’t the only ones feeling the heat with record-breaking temperatures this week. Airlines — and specifically American Airlines — have been forced to cancel flights into and out of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) because the heat has proven to be too scorching to operate some aircraft.
The triple-digit temperatures that have plagued Phoenix during this week’s heatwave have forced American to cancel 50 flights. On Tuesday, Phoenix hit a daily record when temperatures reached a scorching 119°F. And, as a result, AA was forced to cancel 43 flights that were scheduled to operate to or from PHX. On Monday, seven flights were canceled when temperatures peaked at 118°F.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) June 21, 2017
“The primary concern is regional aircraft that are operated by Mesa and SkyWest,” a spokesman from AA said. “We use CRJs, and their maximum operating temperature is 118 degrees. Boeing/Airbus is higher.”
If you’re traveling to or from Phoenix today and your flight is scheduled to arrive or depart between 3:00pm and 6:00pm, AA is offering the flexibility to change your travel without a fee. If this impacts your flight, you can call AA reservations at 1-800-433-7300. In addition, AA is recommending to check the status of your flight on aa.com before heading to the airport.
AA doesn’t anticipate that the heat will impact any of its flights past today.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.