Phoenix Heatwave Forces American Airlines to Cancel 50 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Those living in or visiting Phoenix aren’t the only ones feeling the heat with record-breaking temperatures this week. Airlines — and specifically American Airlines — have been forced to cancel flights into and out of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) because the heat has proven to be too scorching to operate some aircraft.
The triple-digit temperatures that have plagued Phoenix during this week’s heatwave have forced American to cancel 50 flights. On Tuesday, Phoenix hit a daily record when temperatures reached a scorching 119°F. And, as a result, AA was forced to cancel 43 flights that were scheduled to operate to or from PHX. On Monday, seven flights were canceled when temperatures peaked at 118°F.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) June 21, 2017
“The primary concern is regional aircraft that are operated by Mesa and SkyWest,” a spokesman from AA said. “We use CRJs, and their maximum operating temperature is 118 degrees. Boeing/Airbus is higher.”
If you’re traveling to or from Phoenix today and your flight is scheduled to arrive or depart between 3:00pm and 6:00pm, AA is offering the flexibility to change your travel without a fee. If this impacts your flight, you can call AA reservations at 1-800-433-7300. In addition, AA is recommending to check the status of your flight on aa.com before heading to the airport.
AA doesn’t anticipate that the heat will impact any of its flights past today.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees