Tickets Now Required to Cross Northern Ireland’s Famous Rope Bridge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For some people, a trip to Ireland is largely about one thing: the beer. And it’s certainly easy to while away an entire week in Dublin and not see much more than the inside of any number of the city’s charming pubs. But for more outdoorsy types, Northern Ireland offers a number of al fresco adventures. One of its most popular destinations is the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, a nearly 70-foot-long rope bridge suspended 100 feet above the Atlantic that was first constructed in 1755.
While teetering across a nearly 300-year-old rope bridge may not be everyone’s idea of a good time, it’s enticing enough that it drew the largest number of visitors ever last year. (It’s not hurting tourism that Game of Thrones has done some shooting in the area lately, too.) As the weather warms up, BBC reports that the National Trust — which oversees the bridge — is anticipating even more record-breaking crowds. So that you don’t get stuck behind the world’s slowest traverser — or someone who understandably gets a little nervous when they realize that the bridge is just 18 inches wide — visitors to Carrick-a-Rede will now need to purchase a timed ticket if they want to make the trek across the famous walkway, which can only accommodate eight people at a time.
Tickets — which will cost about £7 (~$9) per adult, £3.50 (~$5) per child, or £17.50 (~$23) per family — are only available for purchase on site the day of your visit. Sales begin at 9:15am for a 9:30am crossing. Visitors will have one hour to make their way across the bridge. While an hour to cross the bridge may seem like a lot of time, just wait until you look down.
Featured image courtesy of Michelle McMahon/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.