Tickets Now Required to Cross Northern Ireland’s Famous Rope Bridge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For some people, a trip to Ireland is largely about one thing: the beer. And it’s certainly easy to while away an entire week in Dublin and not see much more than the inside of any number of the city’s charming pubs. But for more outdoorsy types, Northern Ireland offers a number of al fresco adventures. One of its most popular destinations is the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, a nearly 70-foot-long rope bridge suspended 100 feet above the Atlantic that was first constructed in 1755.
While teetering across a nearly 300-year-old rope bridge may not be everyone’s idea of a good time, it’s enticing enough that it drew the largest number of visitors ever last year. (It’s not hurting tourism that Game of Thrones has done some shooting in the area lately, too.) As the weather warms up, BBC reports that the National Trust — which oversees the bridge — is anticipating even more record-breaking crowds. So that you don’t get stuck behind the world’s slowest traverser — or someone who understandably gets a little nervous when they realize that the bridge is just 18 inches wide — visitors to Carrick-a-Rede will now need to purchase a timed ticket if they want to make the trek across the famous walkway, which can only accommodate eight people at a time.
Tickets — which will cost about £7 (~$9) per adult, £3.50 (~$5) per child, or £17.50 (~$23) per family — are only available for purchase on site the day of your visit. Sales begin at 9:15am for a 9:30am crossing. Visitors will have one hour to make their way across the bridge. While an hour to cross the bridge may seem like a lot of time, just wait until you look down.
Featured image courtesy of Michelle McMahon/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees