Tickets Now Required to Cross Northern Ireland’s Famous Rope Bridge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For some people, a trip to Ireland is largely about one thing: the beer. And it’s certainly easy to while away an entire week in Dublin and not see much more than the inside of any number of the city’s charming pubs. But for more outdoorsy types, Northern Ireland offers a number of al fresco adventures. One of its most popular destinations is the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, a nearly 70-foot-long rope bridge suspended 100 feet above the Atlantic that was first constructed in 1755.
While teetering across a nearly 300-year-old rope bridge may not be everyone’s idea of a good time, it’s enticing enough that it drew the largest number of visitors ever last year. (It’s not hurting tourism that Game of Thrones has done some shooting in the area lately, too.) As the weather warms up, BBC reports that the National Trust — which oversees the bridge — is anticipating even more record-breaking crowds. So that you don’t get stuck behind the world’s slowest traverser — or someone who understandably gets a little nervous when they realize that the bridge is just 18 inches wide — visitors to Carrick-a-Rede will now need to purchase a timed ticket if they want to make the trek across the famous walkway, which can only accommodate eight people at a time.
Tickets — which will cost about £7 (~$9) per adult, £3.50 (~$5) per child, or £17.50 (~$23) per family — are only available for purchase on site the day of your visit. Sales begin at 9:15am for a 9:30am crossing. Visitors will have one hour to make their way across the bridge. While an hour to cross the bridge may seem like a lot of time, just wait until you look down.
Featured image courtesy of Michelle McMahon/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees