This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways launched a new stopover package for travelers, called +Qatar, which includes a complimentary overnight stay at a luxury hotel in Doha. Qatar Airways launched the new stopover option in partnership with the Qatar Tourism Authority (QTA) in an effort to make Qatar a more appealing destination for travelers rather than opting to travel through the country without stepping foot outside the airport.
The stopover program is available now and will last through the summer. Qatar Airways and the QTA are teaming up to offer those traveling on Qatar Airways through Doha the option to stay at four- or five-star hotels on their stopover — free of charge. While only the first night is complimentary from the program, travelers can choose to extend their stay to include a second night for $50. Hotel options include The Four Seasons, Marriott Marquis, Radisson Blu and Oryx Rotana. And, according to the press release, it seems passengers will get to choose their hotel (presumably, pending availability).
To take advantage of this new, extended stopover option from Qatar, book your flight through qatarairways.com and select a multi-city itinerary. Once you receive your flight confirmation, you’ll be able to select which hotel you want to stay at for the one (or two) night(s). The offer is available to all Qatar passengers, regardless of class of service.
Last year, Qatar (the country) announced that it was set to begin offering free transit visas for travelers from eligible countries who are transiting through Doha for at least five and no more than 96 hours. So, this new stopover package goes hand-in-hand with the free transit visa to give you the option of a complimentary stay and the option of an additional tour through Discover Qatar.
If you’re not planning on staying in Doha long enough for an overnight stay, keep in mind that the airport also offers free three-hour tours if your layover is long enough. The tour takes you to highlights of the city, including the Museum of Islamic Art, Katara Cultural Village, the Pearl-Qatar and the Souq Waqif. To reserve a spot on a layover airport, go to the Doha City Tour desk, located at the beginning of Concourse B between the Mont Blanc and WH Smith shops, upon arrival.
Featured image courtesy of Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees