First Nonstop Flight Between Israel and Saudi Arabia Arrives in Tel Aviv
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
President Trump is currently in the middle of his first foreign trip to Saudi Arabia, Israel and Italy. He first visited Riyadh (RUH), the capital of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and now is in Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV) for his second stop. What’s remarkable about his specific itinerary, however, is that his Air Force One flight from RUH to TLV was the first nonstop flight between the two cities, since the nations don’t maintain diplomatic relations.
Trump’s flight from Riyadh to Tel Aviv is, according to Israel’s Airport Authority, the first ever direct flight between the two countries. pic.twitter.com/pqh3BDsZwi
— The Spectator Index (@spectatorindex) May 22, 2017
While the president and his staff flew nonstop to Israel, members of the press couldn’t do the same, as the flight was subject to all the normal rules and regulations air traffic has to abide by when traveling in the region. Thus, the chartered Delta 757-200 had to fly from RUH to Larnaca, Cyprus (LCA) and then on to TLV. The plane was on the ground in Cyprus for a short while before departing for Israel. While there won’t be any commercial flights between the two nations anytime soon, we love to see aviation bringing the world even just a little closer together!
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Wandering Aramean
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.