First Nonstop Flight Between Israel and Saudi Arabia Arrives in Tel Aviv
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
President Trump is currently in the middle of his first foreign trip to Saudi Arabia, Israel and Italy. He first visited Riyadh (RUH), the capital of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and now is in Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV) for his second stop. What’s remarkable about his specific itinerary, however, is that his Air Force One flight from RUH to TLV was the first nonstop flight between the two cities, since the nations don’t maintain diplomatic relations.
Trump’s flight from Riyadh to Tel Aviv is, according to Israel’s Airport Authority, the first ever direct flight between the two countries. pic.twitter.com/pqh3BDsZwi
— The Spectator Index (@spectatorindex) May 22, 2017
While the president and his staff flew nonstop to Israel, members of the press couldn’t do the same, as the flight was subject to all the normal rules and regulations air traffic has to abide by when traveling in the region. Thus, the chartered Delta 757-200 had to fly from RUH to Larnaca, Cyprus (LCA) and then on to TLV. The plane was on the ground in Cyprus for a short while before departing for Israel. While there won’t be any commercial flights between the two nations anytime soon, we love to see aviation bringing the world even just a little closer together!
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Wandering Aramean
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees